IMG_8890.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

IMG_8893.JPG

Bob_Marlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! And people worry about washing their hands before going in the tank So lucky! My 2 year old dumped a pack of algae wafers in my old tropical tank and not much survived! Multiple (like at least 10) 75% water changes in succession and the water still wouldn’t clear

Bob_Marlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! And people worry about washing their hands before going in the tank So lucky! My 2 year old dumped a pack of algae wafers in my old tropical tank and not much survived! Multiple (like at least 10) 75% water changes in succession and the water still wouldn’t clear

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saved a friend's tank years ago with a full water change after borax was mistakenly used in a diatom filter. Nothing lost but it was a very active few hours.

OP
OP
Elmer

Elmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after the challenge I talked my wife into building locks on the canopy and stand, instead if that this is what I got
1520810695081.jpg
1520810714664.jpg

hoppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice save,
A couple weeks ago I had this mysterious slime develop in my tank, it was free floating in DT, hanging off every structure and covered the surface of my sump. I was able to beat it after a week of water changes, manual removal and wet skimming. Then this week I figured it out. We were all sick the week prior and my wife was spraying Lysol on everything- kills 99% of germs, no bueno for reef tanks.

OP
OP
Elmer

Elmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice save,
A couple weeks ago I had this mysterious slime develop in my tank, it was free floating in DT, hanging off every structure and covered the surface of my sump. I was able to beat it after a week of water changes, manual removal and wet skimming. Then this week I figured it out. We were all sick the week prior and my wife was spraying Lysol on everything- kills 99% of germs, no bueno for reef tanks.
Dang hope all is well

OP
OP
Elmer

Elmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you and me are very different in a lot of ways. First is your calm and all nice about it. I would be f this f that f f f f f. I didn't read what you did to your 2 year old after this happen. I would have left the house afraid what I would have done to one of my boys. But by saying that I never let them have the opportunity to have access in or around my sump when they were baby's. I had that s#@t on lock down. I commend you for having Patients and not freaking out like I would have. Your great parents and I'm so happy nothing bad happen to your tank. Thank you so much for sharing.
I just basicly talked with them about it, neither one of them ever admitted anything and usually I can get them to tell on each other or admit it after awhile but I also was afraid lol, bought those magnetic locks from wal-mart and told them to never go around the tank again

OP
OP
Elmer

Elmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have been the zinc. A penny is only 2.5% copper. 97.5 zinc.
Good tank save OP.
If you guys have kids. Lock up your sump area. Soap is nothing compared to a drowning. It only takes 2 inches of water to drown.
We ended up buying those magnetic locks from the baby section at wal-mart for the sump doors

OP
OP
Elmer

Elmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 50% water change the next day I live about 2hrs from any lfs so it was kinda crazy but luckily wal-mart had activated carbon so I believe that helped too I bought 2 jars full of it

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im impressed that it didnt nuke your tank to be honest. Great news!

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my daughter scares me around my tank for these reasons!

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least it’s cleaner!
Jk, so do 15% water changes daily! I would also clean that sump out!
Also, you need to use bar soap!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back