Tiger Conch Slimed my Nano

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was cleaning my 20g Nano tank tonight and I had just seen my cleaner shrimp by my hand so when I felt something crawling on my thumb, I assumed it was her. Then I felt a sharp pinch and jumped, realizing my Keys Red Leg hermit crab, who is getting rather large, actually just pinched me with his claws! I exclaimed my disbelief while hubby laughed at my plight.
I finished my water change and while I was wiping the water spots off the front glass, I noticed the same hermit was now on top of my conch! Before I could intervene, my conch freaked out and shot out a TON of slime and scooted as far away from the crab as he could, as fast as he could. The conch is fine and was back out eating as soon as he got away from the little jerk.
Obviously, this hermit is now going to be banned to the sump of my big tank. He can’t be trusted. *Reef safe with Caution* ugh.
My question is about all the slime that everything in my tank is now coated in. I sucked out whatever I could get from the corals, rocks and water column but will this cause any damage in my tank?

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should add that I have a BTA, a rock flower nem and two Yellow Sea cucumbers in this tank. Anything I should worry about?
Everyone looks pretty normal but this does seem to have set off a vicious cycle of sliming now that the conch slime got on some of the corals. Or maybe they’re sloughing it off. It’s hard to tell.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that I have a BTA, a rock flower nem and two Yellow Sea cucumbers in this tank. Anything I should worry about?
Everyone looks pretty normal but this does seem to have set off a vicious cycle of sliming now that the conch slime got on some of the corals. Or maybe they’re sloughing it off. It’s hard to tell.
the slime will dissipate/be eaten by CUC/Be cleaned off by the corals themselves. Might annoy them for a bit though. If its very unsightly you can siphon it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back