Time for a new tank

Galail52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy. So, I dropped out of the reef-keeping hobby for the last year and a half or so. About 8 months ago I decided to give a freshwater planted tank a try. While I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I really wanted.

- Some backstory on the origins of the new tank.

I live at home still and had a 75 gallon planted freshwater tank on what was originally a stand for a 300 gallon tank. The 300 gallon tank ended up being a nightmare. I cracked the bottom pane, to begin with, and got it replaced and rebuilt, only to have the rear pane shatter. The 75 gallon looked nice enough for the stand, but my father wanted a tank that fit it. I told him he had to buy the new tank if he wanted it, not really expecting him to go for it to be honest, and, low and behold he did. Originally, the plan was to get a new 210 Aqueon tank and drill it myself because it would fit on the stand perfectly. And then Facebook happened. $2500 later and here we are!

- New tank! Yay!

Found a tank on Facebook, 300 gallons, stand, sump, radeons, MP40s, a full apex system, and 4 lovely fish. Pair of black clowns, Purple tang, and long nose hawkfish. I went earlier this week and picked up the fish, and they are chilling in my 75 gallon right now as a holdover tank until the big tank is ready.

- What a long freaking day

Today, 9 AM, picked up a U-Haul and headed over. Per usual, I have a terrible sense of how long things will take and we spent the next 4 hours emptying the tank, disconnected everything from it, and loading it all into the back of the truck. It's finally home now, sitting on the floor of my garage. I've done used tanks in the past and they always need some degree of cleaning and TLC. The stand for this tank is in fairly decent condition. The bottom trim pieces need to be re-attached and I've been informed I have to paint it to match the decor of the house better. The tank, however.... is one of the nastiest I've dealt with. I was informed it has sat, un-cared for, for the last several months. The 4 fish got fed every time the man's wife would walk by the tank. I was shocked the fish survived going from that to the clean water of my tank, although, the 60-minute acclimation I did probably helped that.

Once we got it unloaded from the truck and into the garage. We tilted the tank onto its front so I could get the bulkheads removed. The tank itself had to be transported to my house while resting on furniture dollys and strapped in so it wouldn't move. There were 4 bulkheads to be removed, 2 1 inch, and 2 2 inch. None of which would budge using pliers. After using a multi-tool saw, a pipe wrench, a hack saw, some brute force, and no small amount of prayers, I was able to get the nuts removed from 2 of them, and break the other 2 into small enough pieces to push it out of the hole in the tank. I HIGHLY recommend NOT trying this at home. If not for the PVC bottom on the tank, I'm not convinced the tank wouldn't have given up on me.

- Progress! Yay

As it currently sits. The garage is full of crap that I have to sort through and clean. The tank itself is full of water and about 8 pounds of citric acid, as well as the return pumps and skimmer to circulate the water, to break down the organic material on the glass and make cleaning easier later this week. The stand is in pieces, waiting to be cleaned as well and then painted. 99% of the water from the sump is finally out, but I've got a long way to go with cleaning that (2 more pounds of citric acid, yay!). I do have some photos that I'll get posted tomorrow when I manage to upload them. I've historically been terrible at build threads and posting updates, so let's see if I can do better this time around.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Howdy. So, I dropped out of the reef-keeping hobby for the last year and a half or so. About 8 months ago I decided to give a freshwater planted tank a try. While I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I really wanted.

- Some backstory on the origins of the new tank.

I live at home still and had a 75 gallon planted freshwater tank on what was originally a stand for a 300 gallon tank. The 300 gallon tank ended up being a nightmare. I cracked the bottom pane, to begin with, and got it replaced and rebuilt, only to have the rear pane shatter. The 75 gallon looked nice enough for the stand, but my father wanted a tank that fit it. I told him he had to buy the new tank if he wanted it, not really expecting him to go for it to be honest, and, low and behold he did. Originally, the plan was to get a new 210 Aqueon tank and drill it myself because it would fit on the stand perfectly. And then Facebook happened. $2500 later and here we are!

- New tank! Yay!

Found a tank on Facebook, 300 gallons, stand, sump, radeons, MP40s, a full apex system, and 4 lovely fish. Pair of black clowns, Purple tang, and long nose hawkfish. I went earlier this week and picked up the fish, and they are chilling in my 75 gallon right now as a holdover tank until the big tank is ready.

- What a long freaking day

Today, 9 AM, picked up a U-Haul and headed over. Per usual, I have a terrible sense of how long things will take and we spent the next 4 hours emptying the tank, disconnected everything from it, and loading it all into the back of the truck. It's finally home now, sitting on the floor of my garage. I've done used tanks in the past and they always need some degree of cleaning and TLC. The stand for this tank is in fairly decent condition. The bottom trim pieces need to be re-attached and I've been informed I have to paint it to match the decor of the house better. The tank, however.... is one of the nastiest I've dealt with. I was informed it has sat, un-cared for, for the last several months. The 4 fish got fed every time the man's wife would walk by the tank. I was shocked the fish survived going from that to the clean water of my tank, although, the 60-minute acclimation I did probably helped that.

Once we got it unloaded from the truck and into the garage. We tilted the tank onto its front so I could get the bulkheads removed. The tank itself had to be transported to my house while resting on furniture dollys and strapped in so it wouldn't move. There were 4 bulkheads to be removed, 2 1 inch, and 2 2 inch. None of which would budge using pliers. After using a multi-tool saw, a pipe wrench, a hack saw, some brute force, and no small amount of prayers, I was able to get the nuts removed from 2 of them, and break the other 2 into small enough pieces to push it out of the hole in the tank. I HIGHLY recommend NOT trying this at home. If not for the PVC bottom on the tank, I'm not convinced the tank wouldn't have given up on me.

- Progress! Yay

As it currently sits. The garage is full of crap that I have to sort through and clean. The tank itself is full of water and about 8 pounds of citric acid, as well as the return pumps and skimmer to circulate the water, to break down the organic material on the glass and make cleaning easier later this week. The stand is in pieces, waiting to be cleaned as well and then painted. 99% of the water from the sump is finally out, but I've got a long way to go with cleaning that (2 more pounds of citric acid, yay!). I do have some photos that I'll get posted tomorrow when I manage to upload them. I've historically been terrible at build threads and posting updates, so let's see if I can do better this time around.
Sounds great but……,NO PICTURES??

OP
OP
Galail52

Galail52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Let’s see what I can do pic wise.
First photo is tank before I picked it up.
553ECD31-59AB-4802-BA27-1A9F0FD95AC1.png

Second is tank before I started cleaning it.
347293A2-9C62-466F-AECA-B12C66E0B886.jpeg
Last 2 are where the tank and sump currently sit. Tank is full of acid water. Glass has been wiped first round. I’ll go back tomorrow and wipe again which should get the remainder of the stuff off. Sump is empty, but has a long way to go.
3A2885E1-FE1B-41A0-9A6B-DF1A1443E53B.jpeg

DC398D21-EF16-4890-BFAC-7604AC79AFFD.jpeg

OP
OP
Galail52

Galail52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Time for an update. Lots has happened since the last one.

First off, got the overflows cleaned out. Which ended up being a bit of a chore since they didn't soak in acid but they are clean and thats what matters. In cleaning them, I discovered a crack from the back panel to one of the holes for the drains. So I stepped away from the tank itself for a bit and worked on other parts.
thumbnail_IMG_1041.jpg

Sump got cleaned and looks much better. Far from perfect but good enough for me.
thumbnail_IMG_1042.jpg

Rock got into a bleach bath after its Muriatic bath. It's currently in a freshwater bath with some prime and will get a fresh bath later today.
thumbnail_IMG_1043.jpg

Stand got cleaned and a layer of flex paint was put on the bottom to help protect from water damage.
thumbnail_IMG_1058.jpg

Jumping back to the tank. Let's start with plumbing. At first I thought I had a 1 inch hole and a 1-1/2 inch hole. I bought all my plumbing based on that. Come to find out, My 1 inch was only 3/4 of an inch, which forced me to turn my 1-1/2 inch hole into my main drain. I was lucky enough to find 1 gate valve in that size at a LFS, but finding a second one for the other overflow was a nightmare. Amazon is out, BRS is out, everywhere I looked was out or didn't carry it. Last night, a gentleman on Facebook sent me a message and let me know he had one, and he just happened to be in my city, which for where I live is shocking! So thrilled to have all of that figured out.

Onto the crack. I stopped into a LFS that can rebuild the tank. After chatting with them for a bit, I was told to put a sheet of insulation under the tank and the pressure from that would be enough that the tank would be fine. While I half trusted that, I decided to go a step further and purchased a sheet of acrylic, cut it down to fit under the tank as well as inside the overflow, to give everything a little more strength and relieve the pressure from the water on that break. Managed to cut holes in the acrylic with no bodily harm or additional damage to anything and got them siliconed in. Water tested it yesterday and am beyond glad to say that it is water tight and having 0 issues.

Today the plan is to get the tank on the stand and plumb everything out!
thumbnail_IMG_1059.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got it all setup, plumbed, cleaned. Currently filling with water. But! Got the mermaid shot. Used my brother for reference mildly against his will.
970F985E-3775-4E82-A4C0-513185104677.jpeg
This will be nice- better than I imagined- well done.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back