Time for some aquarium retail therapy: What is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store (LFS)?

What is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store (LFS)?

• To buy reef stuff!

Votes: 218 56.3%
  • To get information.

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • For entertainment.

Votes: 66 17.1%
  • To dream about future plans.

Votes: 38 9.8%
  • I don’t visit LFSs.

Votes: 27 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 29 7.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time for some aquarium retail therapy: What is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store (LFS)?

The obvious answers to the question “why do you visit your local fish store?” would seem to be “to buy fish!” While that is clearly one reason, there may be many reasons that you would go to the store. Sometimes you are looking to buy fish, coral, equipment, supplies, or other gear. Other times you may be collecting information, looking for something to catch your eye, finding a solution to a problem in your tank, or purely for entertainment. Many reef keepers buy many of their reef-related items online and turn to online sources for information, however local fish stores are still very important to the reefing community. Please tell us what is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store?

WWC_Store.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intentionally buy stuff I could get online locally. In part to support local businesses, in part to socialize as I will see freinds, The main reason though is to see stuff that will jog my noggin to think how I might do something to keep something I don't have and perhaps most importantly, how I might do something differently than I am now.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is vastly overpriced on virtually everything (welcome to Chicago's economy), but I still pick up a few things just to support a local business. Also, if I'm buying live, I can see what I'm getting, which is not always possible online. Plus I can check out new ideas and future corals, even if I'm not gonna pay $250 for a similar frag that I could find online for $50. :astonished-face:

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to buy and to chat with the owners about my future plans and how to’s.
As my LFS are fairly priced and to be honest very cheap for what they offer high end everything. I support them 100%.
They sale salt that’s almost 20% and some times 50% below market value. I can tell you right now if you like Dr Timms salt you can pick up 200 gallon box for $40

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some times I wonder how these people expect to remain in business. Clueless!
I think they just don't have anybody who goes online to check the latest pricing for them frequently, so that if they paid $100 wholesale 6 months ago, they haven't realized the same coral is currently selling for $50 retail. If I'm buying ONE fish or frag, it's sometimes cheaper than paying shipping, but not always.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many have already said, to buy frozen food, primarily.

On occasion, I’ll pick up a frag (if by my eye it is underpriced and/or worth it).

On rarer occasion, I might need a small part or testing reagent.

I haven’t bought fish from my LFS in over a decade. I’ve received much healthier specimens from online, which likely has led to greater success.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually go to the fish store so I don't go to the exotic car dealership around the corner.
There's like 3 new porsche 911s there now that I saw out front and my new tank couldn't have come at a better time man...I have to stay away from that place.

My LFS is great. I think I've been going to them for about 22 years now.
Their prices aren't too much higher than one of these big box iNtArWeB joints, and they always have something in stock to help me out if I'm in a pinch. I think whenever you can support an LFS, you should.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my local is PetCo, it’s mainly to more fro food although a majority of my fish are from them. I guesss I’m lucky in that the Aquarium manager is one of the knowledgeable ones and orders more unusual for PetCo marine fish like Leopard wrasses and will place an order for you if you ask.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guesss I’m lucky in that the Aquarium manager is one of the knowledgeable ones and orders more unusual for PetCo marine fish like Leopard wrasses and will place an order for you if you ask.
Similar experience… there are at least 10 Petcos within an hour drive… 2 of the managers will show me the weekly wholesale ordering lists (there are no listed prices) and let me order what I want, without obligation to purchase!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get everything I can there. I’m lucky to have a great lfs. The owners have been in business for decades. What they don’t have they will try to order for me. Great selection and great prices. They once talked me into waiting 2 months on a diamond watchman goby purchase that I was going to buy that day. Their systems are algae and aptasia free. All my fish and 75% of my corals and inverts are from there. Oh, and they give me great store credit for the frags I bring in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back