Time for some aquarium retail therapy: What is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store (LFS)?

What is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store (LFS)?

• To buy reef stuff!

Votes: 218 56.3%
  • To get information.

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • For entertainment.

Votes: 66 17.1%
  • To dream about future plans.

Votes: 38 9.8%
  • I don’t visit LFSs.

Votes: 27 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 29 7.5%

• Total voters

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly love my lfs. I'm in a small town, and there's only one LFS (apart from a single Petco). I've gotten every fish I have from them, except one order of dwarf seahorses. They do not have a good coral system, although will get some treasures every now and then. I think thier prices are extremely reasonable for fish and dry goods so I try to buy there as often as I can to support my store. I feel grateful to have a lfs, even if it's just one. They are a combined pet store for other pets as well so I buy all my dog food and supplies there as well. It's a family run store that's been in business so long I remember going there as a kid and glass surfing on the outside of all those tanks.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point just for frozen food most of the time. My tanks are too full to coral shop anymore.

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for some aquarium retail therapy: What is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store (LFS)?

The obvious answers to the question “why do you visit your local fish store?” would seem to be “to buy fish!” While that is clearly one reason, there may be many reasons that you would go to the store. Sometimes you are looking to buy fish, coral, equipment, supplies, or other gear. Other times you may be collecting information, looking for something to catch your eye, finding a solution to a problem in your tank, or purely for entertainment. Many reef keepers buy many of their reef-related items online and turn to online sources for information, however local fish stores are still very important to the reefing community. Please tell us what is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store?

WWC_Store.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
A little of each for going to the aquarium store. Although I've reached my limit on saltwater fish,I still ho to look,buy food and get info.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main reason to go to the LFS is to re-stock my food supply. I always go through the fish room when I am there, but food is what brings me through the doors in the first place.

My LFS, is not particularly local. In fact, they are a 45 minute drive each way. So, sightseeing is not a regular thing for me. That said, they have the very best prices on just about everything I use. Frozen food packs that cost $9.95 at Petsmart, cost %4.95 there.

It's worth the trip up there for just the food alone!!!

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always go to LFS to buy stuff. Once I am there I also plan what to get next.
And I always enjoy it.

Joshuafisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The obvious answers to the question “why do you visit your local fish store?” would seem to be “to buy fish!” While that is clearly one reason, there may be many reasons that you would go to the store. Sometimes you are looking to buy fish, coral, equipment, supplies, or other gear. Other times you may be collecting information, looking for something to catch your eye, finding a solution to a problem in your tank, or purely for entertainment. Many reef keepers buy many of their reef-related items online and turn to online sources for information, however local fish stores are still very important to the reefing community. Please tell us what is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store?

WWC_Store.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
Well mine is usually because it’s next to homedepot. I might as well stop in and see what they have since I’m next door. I’d rather also buy fish from local because shipping just completely sucks butt for fish. Corals are great online but not fish.

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have no more room in my systems for more livestock. I go to my LFS for frozen food, 2-part additives, no-pox, etc. l also like to window shop for new gadgets. Mostly I go to window shop the livestock and dream of bigger systems. If it’s a good day, I cave in and make that irresistible impulse buy of an awesome coral or invert. (My fish willpower is pretty good for the most part but I did cave in a few months ago and turn my QT tank into a mini reef)

sbchandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WWC_Store.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

NutramarBanner.png

We go to to Fish store to get prawns to feed our Frog Fish.

"There's no limit to the good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit" -Ronald Reagan

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm close to 100% online. Any time I can save a few bucks that's the route I'm going. Gotta stretch those reef dollars as much as I can. Even frozen I order online. I just order enough of everything to offset the shipping and last for several months. It's a 1 hour ride to anywhere decent for me and that's if traffic isn't bad. Always the same fish and always the same corals so nothing to see there. I've narrowed down my needs to control unnecessary spending. Plus I'm working on simplicity as well. I like a lot of different species of fish and many of them I have to order as local shops sell the more common species and rarely have anything unique or interesting that catches my interest and I totally get that. Gotta go with all the Nemo fish that people like that sell.

JC_k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy 90% of things online, but always try and support all of my local fish stores, even if it’s just buying food! Someone’s gotta keep them in business

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m super lucky to have a fantastic LFS. Gerber Tropical Fish
Here they are. Their website doesn’t do justice. They have a huge selection (freshwater too). The owner is amazingly knowledgeable and most of the staff are too. They have had some really great people there and some that are learning. Other than the owner they are mostly pretty young people who are learning from a great mentor. In addition to getting any live things I would ever want, it’s nice to be able to support a local place. It’s tons less stress on the livestock too only transporting fro the LFS vs shipping.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m super lucky to have a fantastic LFS. Gerber Tropical Fish
Here they are. Their website doesn’t do justice. They have a huge selection (freshwater too). The owner is amazingly knowledgeable and most of the staff are too. They have had some really great people there and some that are learning. Other than the owner they are mostly pretty young people who are learning from a great mentor. In addition to getting any live things I would ever want, it’s nice to be able to support a local place. It’s tons less stress on the livestock too only transporting fro the LFS vs shipping.
Gobble Gobble!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back