Time for some aquarium retail therapy: What is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store (LFS)?

What is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store (LFS)?

• To buy reef stuff!

Votes: 218 56.3%
  • To get information.

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • For entertainment.

Votes: 66 17.1%
  • To dream about future plans.

Votes: 38 9.8%
  • I don’t visit LFSs.

Votes: 27 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 29 7.5%

• Total voters

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cindy and I will go to buy frozen food or whatever, but we almost always walk out with some new fish or coral lol. We know when we go what we're getting ourselves into lol.

Will59Payne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to use online stores for what I need unless it's an extremely good deal. most things my LFS has for the same price as online with no shipping and waiting, I get good customer service, and it helps keep them in business. They are also a good source of information when I need a person to talk to face to face. They have large quantities of water mixed and ready to go, and sometimes I just go there when it is convenient to chat or see what's new. (it's just a couple blocks from my kid's school.)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually to buy frozen food or random supplies I forgot to order online. Usually just to browse livestock selection, maybe buy snails. My LFS also sells lizards and such, both the Petco and non chain store...I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but have bought terrarium supplies.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it's there. Always something to see, to be happy or sad about and who knows what they have in stock that I might have been looking for?

Edit: And See @Raul-7 's comment below that also applies but I would never admit that on a national forum. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Last edited:

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest reason for visiting my LFS is usually to restock on food (frozen, pellets, live in some cases), or to buy something I need that I would not be able to wait for shipping. My third biggest reason would be entertainment.

I usually leave the store with a few live plants for my freshwater tank(s), some fish food, at the very least. Sometimes I buy filter media too.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't always buy local as my go to lfs is 50 minutes away but I try. I for sure make my large purchases there if it's an item they have or can get. I deal directly with the owner who still values cash vs credit card so it's usually worth the drive.
Im heading down your way sunday for the show. any shops you recommend? i have a couple but want to see if there may be some hidden gems along the way.

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to put in a plug for my lfs, Aquatics Unlimited - they're awesome. They have a knowledgeable staff, most of whom have been there for years. Prices on many items are comparable to online They've special ordered a lot of hard to find fish for me and if I pick it up still in the shipping bag the mark-up is minimal. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nowadays it's the cheapest place to get salt. Also, it's nice to window shop and talk with the Reefers that stop by. I also trade in some stock occasionally.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked a couple years at my LFS after my retirement. So I go back to just catch up and buy frozen. Or pick up stuff I asked him to order. And peppermint shrimp. Over and over. Somebody(s) in my frag system must have developed a taste for them. Is this a thing?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for some aquarium retail therapy: What is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store (LFS)?

The obvious answers to the question “why do you visit your local fish store?” would seem to be “to buy fish!” While that is clearly one reason, there may be many reasons that you would go to the store. Sometimes you are looking to buy fish, coral, equipment, supplies, or other gear. Other times you may be collecting information, looking for something to catch your eye, finding a solution to a problem in your tank, or purely for entertainment. Many reef keepers buy many of their reef-related items online and turn to online sources for information, however local fish stores are still very important to the reefing community. Please tell us what is the most common reason that you visit your local fish store?

WWC_Store.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
Fish food or test reagents.
And eyeballing any interesting livestock.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go largely to shoot the s*** with the folks that work there, but also to pick up livestock and food.

I won't lie and say I don't enjoy the window shopping as well even when I can't really afford new livestock.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To buy food and supplies for my fish. Occasionally to buy inverts.
I do not have corals.
However, I also find it entertaining, and I certainly dream a little about which fish I could try...some day.
I did buy all my fish from them, but I have not bought any fish in over a year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back