Time running out. Help please.

icliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my tank ran fallow since March 5th and added 5 black mollies on May 16 after going fallow for 74 days. It is only the 5th day of the black molly test. I lost one of the molly during my time away and had no idea when or how it died. The rest of the mollies appears to be clear of any disease and is health and eating. Since the dead molly has been stripped to its bones so there is no way of telling how it died. I am leaving for 3 weeks vacation on June 9th so I don’t know how to proceed. Can the molly died of velvet or Brook within day 5 of introduction while 4 others show no symptoms?

OP
OP
icliao

icliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not quarantine the mollies. I fallow Humble Fish’s suggestion and go ahead to acclimate the fishes from freshwater to saltwater over 3 days. I was under the impression all fresh water diseases will be cured after acclimating the fishes to the saltwater environment.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being freshwater fish, the mollies should never have been exposed to Brooklynella, Amyloodinium or Cryptocaryon - they cannot have brought it into your tank. There are lots of other ways the one could have died, but if the diseases were in your display, the mollies should show symptoms quickly - that's the point of freshwater mollies.

I would stay the course, and plan the reintroduction of your fish, assuming you continue to see no symptoms of the "big three" above.

~Bruce

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^This^^

Mollies are actually brackish fish from South America, but can also be found in the freshwater rivers as well as in the ocean along the shore. Most that are sold in the US, however, have been tank bred and raised in freshwater for several generations, and so some just don't transition well regardless how long the acclimation process. That's the reason for adding 3 or more. :)

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay the course. But if you did not ghost feed your tank during fallow period you could be starting to see ammonia building up. Watch for ammonia and treat as needed. I have just recently gone through this. And my ammonia did spike once I added fish.

Shelley

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back