Tin in RO Water

jose1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, I had completed an ICP test and the results returned very high tin levels of 1800 (PDF is attached of the results). A friend came over and we made some changes so I sent a Triton test (faster turn around) to test the water straight out the RODI unit to narrow down the issue. It turns out the tin issue might be elsewhere (piping etc to fish room) but the analysis returned results of sodium , sulphur, lithium, barium , and silicon. In the past 6 analysis these were all at zero. The unit has a new membrane and the resins were just previously changed on my 7 stage unit.

I currently have a water softener and was reading that there are potassium based water softener pellets to assist.

In the meantime going to test my source water before hitting the RO unit plus the water that comes out the pipes in the fish room.

Any help or pointers will be great.

I have also attached the Triton results.

Attachments

• Analyse97187.pdf
    128.7 KB · Views: 63
  • triton.pdf
    141 KB · Views: 44

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tin likely came from plastic or a metal part after the RO/DI.

The second ICP set (ICP data set on the right) is not 0 ppm TDs water. It either got contaminated after it was collected, or the DI is depleted. The TDS is well above 50 ppm TDS (if the ICP is accurate).

OP
OP
jose1223

jose1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, thank you for your prompt reply. Sorry for the silly question, but how did you figure out the TDS was not 0 from the analysis?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, thank you for your prompt reply. Sorry for the silly question, but how did you figure out the TDS was not 0 from the analysis?

ppm TDS is close to the concentration of normal ions added together (being overly simplistic).

It says there was 42 ppm (42 mg/L) of sodium, and that positively charged sodium must have negatively charged ions with it, likely chloride and sulfate mostly, which will account for more than another 42 ppm. Thus, the TDS is likely over 100 ppm. Certainly over 80 ppm.

OP
OP
jose1223

jose1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ppm TDS is close to the concentration of normal ions added together (being overly simplistic).

It says there was 42 ppm (42 mg/L) of sodium, and that positively charged sodium must have negatively charged ions with it, likely chloride and sulfate mostly, which will account for more than another 42 ppm. Thus, the TDS is likely over 100 ppm. Certainly over 80 ppm.
What do you recommend I do? Change the resin? Or add a special resin with an extra canister?

OP
OP
jose1223

jose1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime I am going to send an ICP test on my source water and the RO water that comes out of the lines to the fish room that are connected to the RODI unit. I also purchased a SpectraPure High Capacity Silica Buster Color-Indicating DI Cartridge HC to add to the 7 stage.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back