Tin

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EE44895B-2D36-42E3-92E1-7176299D8776.png

Hi everyone,my Tin it shows kinda almost 3 times the normal and can someone please tell me how to bring down..??and is it going to do any harms to the corals with this high..??..Thank you......

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find the source. Bare metal somewhere in the tank possibly, rust nearby flaking off into the tank like rusty door hinges, pumps etc. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ICP test on here that hasn’t showed tin in the results. I’ve had tin in my water for years, never found the source, and my acropora are doing just fine.
Don’t sweat that amount.

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find the source. Bare metal somewhere in the tank possibly, rust nearby flaking off into the tank like rusty door hinges, pumps etc. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ICP test on here that hasn’t showed tin in the results. I’ve had tin in my water for years, never found the source, and my acropora are doing just fine.
Don’t sweat that amount.
Thanks,good to know,but I just wanted to bring it down.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need to find the source and then remove it. After that, perform water changes until you can get it zeroed out. Poly-filter or cuprisorb may work but I’m not sure if they remove tin.

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need to find the source and then remove it. After that, perform water changes until you can get it zeroed out. Poly-filter or cuprisorb may work but I’m not sure if they remove tin.
Thanks..!!!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerend about the lack of iodine .. iodine is very important in a reef ..too much and it xan have a negative effect too little too . Follow the dosing advice too correct it .

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerend about the lack of iodine .. iodine is very important in a reef ..too much and it xan have a negative effect too little too . Follow the dosing advice too correct it .
Yes,I just ordered the supplements from ATI,it should be here any time..Thanks bro

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no other elevated heavy metal, the tin is probably not coming from corroding metal (because other metals would be also elevated. Some may claim exceptions to that however). Plastics are the most likely culprit IMO. I had elevated tin and after 30+ ICP tests I found the problem to be from a green plastic tube for the return pump that came with my Red Sea Reefer system.
I soaked the tube in 2 gal of RO/DI water for 5 days. Tin came back over 1400! I also found tin leaching from 2 skimmers, a kalk reactor and sched 80 (grey) pvc pipes but none of the values were nearly as high as from the green tubing.
I believe your value of 15 will not cause any problems, but I can understand you wanting to find the source. In a few days I will be getting more ICP results, one of them is a crude experiment to see if Continuum Power Cleanse removes tin. (I will post my results in my thread on tin).

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no other elevated heavy metal, the tin is probably not coming from corroding metal (because other metals would be also elevated. Some may claim exceptions to that however). Plastics are the most likely culprit IMO. I had elevated tin and after 30+ ICP tests I found the problem to be from a green plastic tube for the return pump that came with my Red Sea Reefer system.
I soaked the tube in 2 gal of RO/DI water for 5 days. Tin came back over 1400! I also found tin leaching from 2 skimmers, a kalk reactor and sched 80 (grey) pvc pipes but none of the values were nearly as high as from the green tubing.
I believe your value of 15 will not cause any problems, but I can understand you wanting to find the source. In a few days I will be getting more ICP results, one of them is a crude experiment to see if Continuum Power Cleanse removes tin. (I will post my results in my thread on tin).
Please up date us when you get the icp test return...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back