Tiny fluorescent anemone? Hydroid?

jmvd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Apologies for the bad picture. I recently noticed his little guy; it is on a rock where I have some green people eater zoas on the other side, so at first I thought one of them had migrated a bit from the group. It has a fluorescent green zoa-like mouth and is disc shaped; very flat against rock in a crevice. However, I’ve now noticed it has tiny green fluorescent tentacles with non fluorescent blue ends - a little bit similar in shape to galaxea sweeper tentacles, but shorter, finer, and less movement (low flow, low light area). It also has much shorter, evenly-spaced fluorescent bumps, sort of like the fronds/bumps on plate corals. It does not have lashes like a zoa, but is fluorescent around edges. It is maybe a quarter inch diameter. It doesn’t really look like an anemone, hydroid, zoa, or galaxea, or really anything I’m familiar with. I don’t have any anemones; occasionally I see tiny hydroids and I have lots of other filter feeding hitchhikers.

Not sure if this is related, but sometimes I see tiny green fluorescent specs in my water, or in the rags I use to wipe up after water changes/etc.

Thanks so much!

EB4BB39A-3B59-4BB2-8122-3A7075F832CF.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jmvd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Majano, it looks like several things right now, can you get a pic with whites on?

Unfortunately, the white light picture I tried to get doesn’t really show anything. I can barely make out the fluorescent bumps.
CBF87EE8-E575-4EE1-AEB0-AE3EC9441C42.jpeg
Definitely understand the pic is going to limit responses, and my descriptions are grasping at straws; wish I could do better on both fronts.

My first thought was maybe a majano; I’ve never had those, but when I googled/looked around here, it just doesn’t look anything like the pics I found. It’s so small though, so maybe if it matured it would. The bumps/sweepers are not along the edge; its edge appears fairly clean, without lashes/tentacles/arms, sort of like a discosoma except more uniform/circular. The long, fine tentacles aren’t always visible, and often it just looks very flat, with fluorescent green dots in place of bumps.

Anyway, thanks again.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are hydroids, google colonial hydroids You get them in brown and fluorescent green.

OP
OP
J

jmvd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudocorynactis?

Does it look like a ball tip anemone? I have a couple that look similar....

Its tentacles do look very similar some of the pictures I’m finding of both of these, if much fewer, so I’m thinking it might be one of them.

I don’t think it’s a colonial hydroid; it just doesn’t have the lashes, but I know hydroids come in many varieties so I probably can’t entirely rule out.

Thanks all!

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up “ball anemone” and see if thats close. Hard to tell by photos. Not sure if its the same as a “ball tip” as another user suggested

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back