Tiny mushroom frag dying

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just noticed my mushroom has what appears to be some exposed skeleton. Just wondering what’s wrong and if there’s any saving it? Parameters are:
Ph-8.2
Ammonia- 0.2
Nitrite- >1
Nitrates- 4
Phosphate- 0

I also feed reef roids and mysis shrimp every 2-3 days

E7F79972-BCF6-4EB1-B057-7B840B8B4C96.jpeg
Ummm ….
mushrooms don’t have skeletons .
perhaps the rock below it even it’s not a mushroom ? Can we get better pictures under white lights ?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all congrats on the new light, you will like it! not sure if the preset you are using is overkill for that size of a tank but we can figure that out later.
I also feel that I need to address some points mentioned here, a properly cycled tank shouldn't show any readings of nitrites or ammonia. Although I agree that the color chart styled test kits you are using are not accurate and could be misleading, in my experience they did the job, moreover I believe that they shouldn't show nitrites or ammonia if your tank doesn't have them (based on my experience).
so my recommendation to you is as follows; continue with regular tank maintenance and stop feeding reef roids as frequently (once a week is good), reef roids is a concentrated coral food and based on your current tank coral stocking it might be too much. adding bacterial solutions wont hurt but also isn't necessary.
also consider starting a tank build thread since it would be helpful for people giving you assistance in the future.
can I have a full tank Image with the tank lights running?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all congrats on the new light, you will like it! not sure if the preset you are using is overkill for that size of a tank but we can figure that out later.
I also feel that I need to address some points mentioned here, a properly cycled tank shouldn't show any readings of nitrites or ammonia. Although I agree that the color chart styled test kits you are using are not accurate and could be misleading, in my experience they did the job, moreover I believe that they shouldn't show nitrites or ammonia if your tank doesn't have them (based on my experience).
so my recommendation to you is as follows; continue with regular tank maintenance and stop feeding reef roids as frequently (once a week is good), reef roids is a concentrated coral food and based on your current tank coral stocking it might be too much. adding bacterial solutions wont hurt but also isn't necessary.
also consider starting a tank build thread since it would be helpful for people giving you assistance in the future.
can I have a full tank Image with the tank lights running?
+1 to this.
Don't worry about ammonia and nitrites.
Reef roids are very high in phosphates. Now you have a reading, back off to feed once a week. PO4 at 0.07 is perfect.

Nitrite and nitrate reading for some of you.
Thread 'False Nitrate reading?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/false-nitrate-reading.352136/

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, no need to actually feed the mushroom. As a treat once in a while is fine. They get most of the nutrition from the light and zooxanthellae.
If everything else in the tank is fine then your doing something right. In my 30 years experience, I've seen coral shrivel Then lay out, bleach then color up, wax over then shed. It's normal for coral to change from time to time. Just give them quality water, flow and light. Feed the fish and they feed the coral.
I would like to see a full tank shot. ;)

Happy reefing!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
she don't have ammonia the test kits are wrong and can never read 0 unless its digital
Some ammonia test kits will show slightly above zero because they test total ammonia and not just free ammonia. But others read zero accurately.

Last edited by a moderator:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, how much are we talking?
Thread 'Ammonia and coral' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ammonia-and-coral.299645/
I was talking about the amounts the OP said they have, or in that range. Obviously, WAY too much of just about anything will have a negative effect, but the person I was responding to stated that having trace ammonia and/or nitrite is the reason the OP's coral isn't doing well, and that is categorically false.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I feel that an obvious cause may have been missed in this discussion. It was actually mentioned to raise phosphates, but no one gave the reason for the OP. Almost if not all corals use nitrates and phosphates for a food source. Especially the zooanthellae which are the photosynthetic organisms in the corals. “Bleaching” can be caused by too much light or not enough nutrients or a combination of both.

The prime lights have an acclimation mode, at least hydras, I have both hydra and primes, just never used that mode on primes. Might put it in a 15-30 day acclimation period to allow the corals to get used to the lights. If it seems to be too little, you can bring them up easier than nursing corals back from too much.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ammonia test kits will show slightly above zero because they test total ammonia and not just free ammonia. But others read zero accurately.
tell me what colour chart test kits reads 0
API reads 8ppm in my 3 year old tank
Salifert reads 1.5ppm
Red sea isnt that bad but still reads 0.2

they are incapable of reading 0

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
false information saying that ammo, nitrite, nitrate will kill her corals.
ammonia can stress and kill coral and i never mentioned anything about nitrite or nitrate killing anything i actually told her to increase her nitrate if anything

you don't have ammonia or nitrite if you did everything would be dead already (for the ammonia not the nirtite)

meaning her fish read the quotes i never said anything abouut nitrite or nitrate killng anything

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back