Tiny mushroom frag dying

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just noticed my mushroom has what appears to be some exposed skeleton. Just wondering what’s wrong and if there’s any saving it? Parameters are:
Ph-8.2
Ammonia- 0.2
Nitrite- >1
Nitrates- 4
Phosphate- 0

I also feed reef roids and mysis shrimp every 2-3 days

E7F79972-BCF6-4EB1-B057-7B840B8B4C96.jpeg

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank to have ammonia and Nitrite, also no phosphate.
Only about 1 1/2 months old, my parameters have been strange so I’m working on getting ammonia and nitrite down right now. Also working on getting my nutrients up. I didnt know better at the time about adding corals too early T~T

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mushrooms are a soft coral; they have no skeletons. Usually when they are really mad, they will let out their insides which are white and stringy. You shouldn't have any ammonia/nitrites that probably where the problem lies.

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since your tank is so new you just need to wait for the cycle to be finished. Wait until your parameters are in-check before adding any fish/corals/livestock or it will just die. Also, adding reefroids and mysis shrimp is not necessary and will most likely come back to haunt you with high phosphates and nitrates later on. That stuff is more for corals that are growing and will accept that food, usually when a tank is more established. Patience is key!

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to get you're phosphate away from 0 otherwise all ur coral are going to die and to keep that torch of yours happy nitrate 10

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that ammonia reading is wrong it is 0 colour charts r a waste of money i have Hanna for everything

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with the above - painful as it is and assuming the Ammonia reading is accurate, you have a few days/weeks to go

Patience is a virtue in reef keeping

best of luck

giphy-downsized-large.gif

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms are a soft coral; they have no skeletons. Usually when they are really mad, they will let out their insides which are white and stringy. You shouldn't have any ammonia/nitrites that probably where the problem lies.
Would adding a product like stability help the coral out by detoxifying the ammonia? Also does it look like it’s doing what you said in the photo? Thank you for the help :)

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my lights recently, could it be bleaching maybe?

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding a product like stability help the coral out by detoxifying the ammonia? Also does it look like it’s doing what you said in the photo? Thank you for the help :)
you don't have ammonia or nitrite if you did everything would be dead already (for the ammonia not the nirtite)

if you had nitrite you would get a nitrate reading of 50ppm+

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have just set up the same tank as you my salifet ammonia test says i have 1.5ppm ammonia but my snail is as happy as can be colour test kits are a waste of money and you should invest in hanna if you want accurate readings

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have just set up the same tank as you my salifet ammonia test says i have 1.5ppm ammonia but my snail is as happy as can be colour test kits are a waste of money and you should invest in hanna if you want accurate readings
I just bought a Hanna for my QT tank to check copper, and minus a couple of bumps in the road I really like It so will definitely consider buying one for ammonia tomorrow

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Hanna for my QT tank to check copper, and minus a couple of bumps in the road I really like It so will definitely consider buying one for ammonia tomorrow
nonono don't buy a ammonia 1 its pointless and a waste of money youu're tank is cycled no need to ever check ammonia again

alk/calc/nitrate/phosphate

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nonono don't buy a ammonia 1 its pointless and a waste of money youu're tank is cycled no need to ever check ammonia again

alk/calc/nitrate/phosphate
Okay, Thank you for letting me know, I just bought an aquaforest phosphate test kit so I think I’ll get the nitrate one then and save up for the others from each paycheck :) thanks again!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back