Tiny Tank: Pico Build | Eshopps Deskmate 4.8 Gallon

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does! At least the older spectral controller. I don't think it works with the newer wifi dongle.
Correct, may need to purchase the old school chord separately though (if you are going to run more than 1). I am running two in my 25 lagoon. Don't get me wrong, this is NOT a powerful light, but for a nano or shallow tank it works really good.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to take some new photos, but quick updates.

1. Noticed some Aiptasia hitchhiked in and was hanging out with the GSP. I almost wanted to leave it to see who would win THAT particular competition but decided against it. :) Threw in a peppermint shrimp from the 29-gallon that's a known Aiptasia destroyer, and in less than 12 hours it was gone. I went ahead and returned shrimpy to its normal home.

2. Also noticed a few bubble algae popping up around the shrooms. Again, I borrowed an invert from the 29g and sent in Mrs Grumpy Gills, a known BA chewer of an Emerald crab and she's already about halfway done with her buffet in the last couple of days.

3. Kessil light is still en route. Longest shipping ever, I swear. Based on the tracking I'm hoping it gets here tomorrow, but likely the next day. ETA has come and gone, but there's movement in the tracking so I'm not super worried yet. Ish happens.

4. Tried the Magic Eraser on the scratches with no real progress. However the acrylic is now cleaner than when I purchased it? So that's a win. :face-with-tears-of-joy: The scratches aren't SO bad, but I'll prob try out one of those handy kits eventually.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotta do something about my bubble algae. probably before the foxface comes out of qt. inverts are hard with my hawkfsh though. it's a love hate relationship with that fish.

handy kits?

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that makes sense! I was using a turkey baster to siphon some BA out in the 29-gallon when I had an issue a couple of months back. It was ... not ideal, but it was easier for me than trying to remove and toothbrush the rock itself without breaking the whole scape. I ended up re-trying the Emerald crab route with great success. If you didn't care if it got eaten they're only a few bucks lol. (Sorry theoretical crab)

Handy kits! https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumps-tanks-refugiums/scratch-removers.html

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it gets the job done, I can move the fish to the sump then swap them when the work is done...

I got that stuff from home depot. works well for light stuff, I still have some crazing that was unfazed by my efforts. I may try 2k grit sand paper and work up to 3k.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil A80 FINALLY arrived today! Set up programs, set it to the acclimation schedule I want, and didn't bother testing with a PM program to test it. We'll just wait and see if it comes on tomorrow morning or if I flubbed it. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I really like that light for small applications. I have 2 on my 25 lagoon.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that light for small applications. I have 2 on my 25 lagoon.

If all goes well, I plan to order two more for my 29gal and daisy chain them on the same schedule since the tanks are only about 2 feet apart. I'm happy with the light on the 29 for what it's provided, but it's a cheapo light approaching 1.5 years and I don't expect it to last too much longer.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all goes well, I plan to order two more for my 29gal and daisy chain them on the same schedule since the tanks are only about 2 feet apart. I'm happy with the light on the 29 for what it's provided, but it's a cheapo light approaching 1.5 years and I don't expect it to last too much longer.
The chords are long. Should be no problem to hook them all to the same controller.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photoless update!

It's been a minute! I've had a GHA outbreak that went from "I'll worry about that later" to "Oh crap" super quick, and under the GHA bubble algae showed itself, as well. So far my method of choice is manual removal. I did a couple of tests today:

1.022 (a little lower than I like. ATO appears to be overfilling the tank, so that's a fun new thing. I think I remember another thread about this, so going to go searching after I post. Unplugged the ATO for today after the water change, and I'll plug it back in tomorrow or when I'm up to 1.024)
80.2*f - the light keeps this tank pretty warm, but I'm ok with that.
NO3 = 0
PO4 = 0.08

I highly doubt my nitrates are actually zero, and suspect the GHA has just been using it all. Did a large round of manual removal with my hands and a toothbrush, and I'm considering what CUC I need to add in. Right now I just have one peppermint snail, one turbo snail, and one cerith. I don't want an urchin, since I worry about parameter swings in a tiny tank, and I'll likely pick up an emerald crab for the bubble algae this weekend.

Coral-wise, even though I let the GHA grow wild, the ricordea is ok, a little cranky but ok, Duncan is doing great, and the GSP and Sympodium are both growing like weeds. The only thing really mad is the goni, but it's hanging in there.

Dropped in a little benepets after the water change and sock change just in case, and I'll hit another round of removal on Friday or Saturday.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some sort of divine providence, when I was doing my "nightly rounds" of the tanks before the lights go out (does anyone else do this and inspect during sundown?) the emerald crab in the 29-gallon was just casually hanging out near the top on the rockwork, which she NEVER does. So I gently scooped her out, she didn't protest at all, and dropped her into the tiny tank.

Of note, she got HUGE fast. She's already about 1.5" across the carapace, and her claws were big enough to give me pause before scooping her up with my hand. (worth the risk haha)

Already spotted her in the tiny tank chowing down, so hopefully it's a help in addition to another round of manual removal tomorrow! I'll grab an updated photo regardless of how bad it looks haha.

Cyndi & Jim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A delayed response, but this works as a great tool to clean your display.
Any updated pictures with the new lights?

Attachments

• IMG_1735.jpeg
    IMG_1735.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 23

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Going to work on gluing the coral frags down today. Everything seems happy and parameters are stable. Diatoms clearing up well.

20221227_120211.jpg

I have a Duncan in another tank that is being harassed by one of the clowns. Sigh. I'm going to go ahead and move it over to the deskmate before it's hosted to death.

20221227_120145.jpg

Bonus photobomb by the Diamond Goby who can't stand not being the center of attention:

20221227_120153.jpg
skimming thread and thought you had a diamond goby and a clown in 4.8 gallons. I was about to applaud you for having the guts to post that here :)

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This winter I learned that my tiny tank automations hold out for about 7-10 days depending on the humidity. I was gone for 15 for a family emergency.

Awkward The Office GIF

I haven't had the ... willpower? To try to recover yet, but the tank is still ... there lol. I'll take some photos eventually of the good, bad, and ugly and do a deep clean at some point soon.

Back