Tiny- The Wallet Destroyer (1000G)

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ceiling height will be 10 feet... I did think of a catwalk kinda deal but that was nixed by the s/o.

One of the things that I haven't figured out yet is how to manage the lighting fixtures when I need to do maintenance. I have three 400 Watt Hamilton Cozumel Sun Pendants that will be inter-spaced with three Kessil A360X LEDs supplemental lights that I want to hang 12 inches off the water. I feel like those Cozumels will get HOT and I don't want to burn myself bumbling around in the tank. I'm not sure I completely understand your description of the "folding catwalk" system? That may be an easier sell...

For flow I think I'm leaning towards Tunze Masterstream 6550s for the form factor of the nozzle protruding more... my idea is to have them behind an in-tank divider so that they're hidden. I'm working on some sketches to show what I mean.

Thanks for the input!

Have you thought about hiding the PH in the rockwork? I saw a video on YouTube a few months back of a maintenance company that built a 300g DT with massive amounts of rock, and hidden in the rock were MP60s. If the guy didn't point them out, you'd never see them, and the tank had tons of flow throughout

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean now... If I went in that direction I would just have to figure out a material that would fit into the decor of the room.

An automatic lift sounds great, but I'm not sure I have the engineering expertise to design and build one.
Chandelier lifts...

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding your dellema about the closed loops... If you're going that route I will highly recommend you get Ecotech vectras because they have many intuitive modes (like the vortechs). If you pair them with eductors you can get serious water motion with very little footprint inside your tank. I have seen 2 vectra returns paired with eductors rock a 400 gallon tank with 2 1 inch eductors on the outputs. Check out the reef builders youtube channel. They are using the closed loop I described in their hard-line acropora reef system.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a large, steel or aluminum framed aquarium? What has your experience been so far with that kind of aquarium?

Firstly just wow, I have a 7 x 4 x 2 planned, I am not worthy! ;)

I have a friend that had an 8 x 6 x 3 that was steel framed top and bottom but it was built on site.
Following. :)

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also regarding the closed loops the pumps take way less maintenance than a bunch of power heads. Thank you @ElussssvReefSD for sharing your amazing build with us. Keep us "in the loop" ;Hilarious

Haha Dad jokes, thanks for the advice and suggestions, I’m still thinking about it.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly just wow, I have a 7 x 4 x 2 planned, I am not worthy! ;)

I have a friend that had an 8 x 6 x 3 that was steel framed top and bottom but it was built on site.
Following. :)

Hehe thanks. I was wondering if building on site was cheaper than freight, I do have a custom manufacturer nearby... Was your friend happy with the work that was done?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, do any of you use the 400W Hamilton Cozumel Sun MH Pendants? I'm trying to figure out how high I can get away with mounting the light above the water line and not lose too much PAR...

I have 10 foot ceilings and the tank rim will be at 6 feet, so water line a couple inches less. Do you think I'd be able to hang them 3 feet or so off the water without issues other than light spill?

The rationale is, I have three of these fixtures to cover 120"x48"x48" of tank, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my hands on a 4th fixture for more coverage (have been "Out of Stock" for awhile now, I'm assuming they may not be being made anymore...).

U

User1

View Badges
Regarding your dellema about the closed loops... If you're going that route I will highly recommend you get Ecotech vectras because they have many intuitive modes (like the vortechs). If you pair them with eductors you can get serious water motion with very little footprint inside your tank. I have seen 2 vectra returns paired with eductors rock a 400 gallon tank with 2 1 inch eductors on the outputs. Check out the reef builders youtube channel. They are using the closed loop I described in their hard-line acropora reef system.

Regarding the RB youtube channel. They do deploy the closed loop but never plumb your tank like they do. The Vectra pump is not supported unless they recently did this. The two separate videos I've seen them do so far show the pumps just hanging by the bulk head and pipes. No support. Vibration and torque could shatter the bottom of the tank or cause a leak to the bulkhead or pump itself. Just a word of caution. Other than that closed loops are great and the random flow nozzles are great. I use them on my 1" sea swirls.

Nice build. I see we lose another one from the great state of California.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, do any of you use the 400W Hamilton Cozumel Sun MH Pendants? I'm trying to figure out how high I can get away with mounting the light above the water line and not lose too much PAR...

I have 10 foot ceilings and the tank rim will be at 6 feet, so water line a couple inches less. Do you think I'd be able to hang them 3 feet or so off the water without issues other than light spill?

The rationale is, I have three of these fixtures to cover 120"x48"x48" of tank, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my hands on a 4th fixture for more coverage (have been "Out of Stock" for awhile now, I'm assuming they may not be being made anymore...).

Could you run dual 250W fixtures on the ends of the tank instead and keep everything close? Maybe raise the aquascape on each end to keep the par levels similar?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the RB youtube channel. They do deploy the closed loop but never plumb your tank like they do. The Vectra pump is not supported unless they recently did this. The two separate videos I've seen them do so far show the pumps just hanging by the bulk head and pipes. No support. Vibration and torque could shatter the bottom of the tank or cause a leak to the bulkhead or pump itself. Just a word of caution. Other than that closed loops are great and the random flow nozzles are great. I use them on my 1" sea swirls.

Nice build. I see we lose another one from the great state of California.

Yeah... unfortunately COL and job pushed me out... miss it though!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one on each end, or do a 400 - 250 - 400 - 250 - 400 kindof setup?

Gotcha. Well, unfortunately the 250W pendants are out of stock as well. I have some Kessil A360X for accent lighting but I doubt they'd contribute much PAR-wise so far from the water. I have plenty of time still so I hope that it's just a temporary issue due to the rona and not Hamilton going out of business... ;Sorry

U

User1

View Badges
Gotcha. Well, unfortunately the 250W pendants are out of stock as well. I have some Kessil A360X for accent lighting but I doubt they'd contribute much PAR-wise so far from the water. I have plenty of time still so I hope that it's just a temporary issue due to the rona and not Hamilton going out of business... ;Sorry

How high are the a360x's mounted off the water surface? Remember you have two options with them. You can mount them lower to the surface anywhere from 4 to 8 inches or higher up to 14 or so. Higher you go you need to add the lens to them. I think it changes the spread from 130 degrees down to 90.

BRS just did video on them I believe which shows the effectiveness of them. An option I guess.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back