Tiny white anemones? Hydroids maybe?

MegC

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Location
12305
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I work at an aquarium for starters. We have a coldwater seahorse tank (63°F) with nothing else in it. The tank has a ton of these anemone like guys. They look to be potentially colonial?

It doesn't seem to bother the potbelly seahorses at all! But when I scrub the tank they seem to be releasing nematocysts which has caused my arms to break out in a terribly itchy rash!

I looked to my biology manager and she believes they are hydroids. To me they look similar but they are completely white with shorter stalks and long tentacles.

If an ID is possible does anyone know how to potentially get rid of them, and anything for the rash!

Thank you all!!

PXL_20220212_183937539._exported_1644718396953.jpg PXL_20220212_183947151._exported_1644718435318.jpg PXL_20220212_183956013._exported_1644718450346.jpg PXL_20220212_184015071.MP~2.jpg PXL_20220212_184029739._exported_1644718628440.jpg
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20220212_184039669._exported_stabilized_1644718599344.mp4
    7 MB
hi, welcome to the reef... :)

hydroids , @MaxTremors could prob give you more info.

as far as rash, shoulder length latex gloves on next order list...;):)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new