Tiny white hydroids...

Justin4646

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this candy cane coral frag for a couple of months now and I remember noticing a tiny white little hand on the branch the first week or so it was in the tank. Not knowing what it was I dipped the coral and put it back in the tank. I noticed an army of about 40 has formed on the branch of the candy cane now... Will they bother it? If I putty the branch to smother them will it kill the coral? Is it even worth my time or are they more harmless than they look? I can get a pic tomorrow but I'm certain they're hydroids. Are they even inverts? Lol

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this candy cane coral frag for a couple of months now and I remember noticing a tiny white little hand on the branch the first week or so it was in the tank. Not knowing what it was I dipped the coral and put it back in the tank. I noticed an army of about 40 has formed on the branch of the candy cane now... Will they bother it? If I putty the branch to smother them will it kill the coral? Is it even worth my time or are they more harmless than they look? I can get a pic tomorrow but I'm certain they're hydroids. Are they even inverts? Lol
Welcome to R2R! A pic would help, although from your description I agree that it seems like hydroids. I heard they eventually go away on their own, like coral acne.

OP
OP
J

Justin4646

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I've been reading a pretty similar thing. I'm just worried, the candy cane's the only coral in the tank showing no growth. Is there any way they're interfering with it? They're really close under the polyps. I'm gettin outta bed using flash to get a pic!! ;)

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I've been reading a pretty similar thing. I'm just worried, the candy cane's the only coral in the tank showing no growth. Is there any way they're interfering with it? They're really close under the polyps. I'm gettin outta bed using flash to get a pic!! ;)
Yes they do bug corals, and it's definitely why your candy cane's not growing. I'm not sure however how to get rid of hydroids besides playing the waiting game.

OP
OP
J

Justin4646

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can just barely see them, forgot I broke by phone camera haha. Mostly between them, tiny bit on the right side. There's such a death-clump between the polyp they caught and devoured a full misys
20181105_225133.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can just barely see them, forgot I broke by phone camera haha. Mostly between them, tiny bit on the right side. There's such a death-clump between the polyp they caught and devoured a full misys
20181105_225133.jpg
Those are hydroids alright. Like i said they should go away over time, but I hesrd you can manually remove them. you should probably research that before taking my word for it though, I'm not sure if they might spread spores or however that works.

OP
OP
J

Justin4646

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I'm so terrified of them!!! They look like those dandelion seeds you blow everywhere! Hahaha I might just see if a turkey baster can make enough suction to snatch a few

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back