Tiny white Particles in reef tank

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can clearly see the amount of particles in my tank. I run filter socks, carbon, skimmer. My tank is new and I started having algae blooms and I’ve been dosing vibrant/vodka to combat it.

What are these particles? My power heads aren’t blowing sand around like before, and I just put them on the lowest setting to see if the issue stops.

Does anyone know what these particles are? I’ve never had this issue in my past reef tank, nor a month ago.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing 2 part calcium chloride and soda ash. I know my alk is 9, but let me test my magnesium in case something is precipitating. If anyone has a clue on what these particles are I’d be really happy.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just started vodka dosing or if your tank is fairly new, it’s likely a bacteria bloom. Make sure you’ve a skimmer or an air stone running (it can deplete the dissolved O2 in your water), and it should resolve in a few days. You could also cut back on the Vodka, it usually means you are ramping up the dose too quickly. I have never used Vibrant, so I don’t know if that could also be adding to it, but I would probably stop that for the time being. If you have a UV filter, it can knock it out faster, but it should go away on its own.

Edit: to be clear we’re talking about the cloudiness seen in the second video and not the odd particulate being blown around, correct? If it’s the latter, that’s just from having live rock, lots of biological processes happening, lots of microfauna, and lots of flow. As much as people claim that it should be this way, your water shouldn’t be completely crystal clear with absolutely no particulates, even in a closed, filtered system there are planktonic organisms, nutrients, and organic materials floating around, that’s what your corals and filter feeders are eating.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is a sock or other object at top of tank and it appears it is emitting from it? Also, filter socks should entrap all particles to 1 micron. Assure they are clean. If water is flowing over the top of them, it is likely they need to be washed

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That “sock” was my new carbon bag that I just added to the tank today. I admit I haven’t changed my carbon out in a month, so I placed it in the display tank to make it work faster. I rinsed it before hand and I was having this issue prior.

I just tested my Mag and it was very low. I’m going to double test to make sure.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: to be clear we’re talking about the cloudiness seen in the second video and not the odd particulate being blown around, correct? If it’s the latter, that’s just from having live rock, lots of biological processes happening, lots of microfauna, and lots of flow. As much as people claim that it should be this way, your water shouldn’t be completely crystal clear with absolutely no particulates, even in a closed, filtered system there are planktonic organisms, nutrients, and organic materials floating around, that’s what your corals and filter feeders are eating.
I honestly don’t see the tank as cloudy. I was referring to the white particles all over the tank.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t see the tank as cloudy. I was referring to the white particles all over the tank.
I am on my phone, so the video is kind of small, but I do t see a lot of larger particulates, but in the second video, you can clearly see white cloudiness being pushed by the wave maker/return (can’t see what it is). At first I thought maybe you had just dose part 2, but then thought you’d have mentioned it if you did (which is why I then thought it was a bacterial bloom). I saw a couple little white particulates, but nothing out of the ordinary, even with excessive mechanical filtration you’re still going to see some particulates.

Upon rewatching it a couple times, I think the ‘cloudiness’ I’m seeing might be a reflection of the shimmer on the back glass. But I still don’t see a concerning amount of particulates.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see both particulate matter and what may be hydroid jellyfish or baby hydrozoa

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird theory:

Could it be my old filter socks that are adding the particles????

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Particles still bad.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned that I added dry sand 4 days ago. I think that’s when the problem started.

Last edited:

jburton5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could this be sand and my flow is to high? Or what is this i need help tired of seeing this stuff floating around it’s annoying. Im not running a sock but am running carbon and just changed it about a week ago

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back