Tips/advice on DIY LED fixture for 180 gallon!

Rskillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm ready to ditch the halides and go LED. I'd like to do AI, but can't justify $2500-3000.

I have a 72' long standard 180 mixed reef. I really only have 2 needs. I want a very blue color, so more blues than whites, and I want to be able to dim them independently ala the Aqua Illumination.

Any suggestions? My budget is pretty much $1000 or maybe a bit more. Is there any pre-made units that would work from other companies? If I do go DIY, what would I need? Pretty much a noob when it comes to LEDs, even though I've done a good bit of research already. :wink:

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If an alc works in it then get 3 48led kits from reefledlights should be around 1200. And much better off.

Sent from my EVO.

OP
OP
Rskillz

Rskillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks snoop. Waiting on Bill over at reefled to get back to me now. Probably gonna go that route.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a full blown fixture I'm selling the one I just built.... It has 100 royal blues and 50 whites all wired and ready to go....pm me for details if your interested...

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There u go. I seen lees its nice but mines nicer lol jk. Nut yeah Lee is great maybe u can get the apex with it and u will be set.

Sent from my EVO.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue but I can control my apex from any where in the world via my iPhone or a pc... Really nice I always mess with my wife kids at work I shut down pumps and lights and they call me freaking out... Ahahahaba

OP
OP
Rskillz

Rskillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue but I can control my apex from any where in the world via my iPhone or a pc... Really nice I always mess with my wife kids at work I shut down pumps and lights and they call me freaking out... Ahahahaba

hahahaha, that's awesome.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great I turn the return pump Off and the tank starts making sucking noises then I make the lights flash and they freak out thinking it's shorting out... Buhahahahahahah :hammer:

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a lot of research and to me the apex is much better. Reason being the reefkeeper with alc can only run total 4 drivers 2 per port. The apex can run 24 total of 6 drivers per port. Also the fact u can control from anywhere and have ur apex do everything. Even auto water changer with right floats and program. Love my apex.

Sent from my EVO.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back