Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.

polpo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have my first aquascape laid out for my Waterbox 190. My next question, how do I get this into my tank without ruining it? I am using all Marco reef saver and an XL CaribSea arch. I was planning to mortar with E-Marco 400 and maybe work top down and try to put it back together in the tank in sections. Does anyone have lessons learned or advice from previous experience?

aquascape.png

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure as I have never done it before either but it sounds like your plan will work.
In fact I am planning the same thing.Here's a picture of my new aquascape. I'm not sure if this is the final one, I think might have a few more tweaks. Any comments suggestions Good or bad will be welcome. IMG_2978.JPG

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first SW tank, so my first SW Aquascape... This is my first attempt. Nothing is cemented, just stacked for now. Final product will have some rubble rock stuck into reef cement to hide cement, rods, etc.

My intent is to have a Zoa / Paly Garden on the center island, some Pulsing Xenia on the single flat rock in the right front corner (I have heard isolating it will keep it from overtaking the tank, and I love it, so I want some in my tank!) This will be a mixed softie tank. No, or very little SPS. Tank is a 75 Gallon.

End View from corner of room. Basically nobody will see the tank from this angle unless they walk back into the corner...
20190527_103804-XL.jpg

Front View...
20190527_103755-XL.jpg

End View visible from couch and dining room...
20190527_103745-XL.jpg

And a walk around video...

Any Critique, Criticism and SUGGESTIONS are very welcome!!

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first SW tank, so my first SW Aquascape... This is my first attempt. Nothing is cemented, just stacked for now. Final product will have some rubble rock stuck into reef cement to hide cement, rods, etc.

My intent is to have a Zoa / Paly Garden on the center island, some Pulsing Xenia on the single flat rock in the right front corner (I have heard isolating it will keep it from overtaking the tank, and I love it, so I want some in my tank!) This will be a mixed softie tank. No, or very little SPS. Tank is a 75 Gallon.

End View from corner of room. Basically nobody will see the tank from this angle unless they walk back into the corner...
20190527_103804-XL.jpg

Front View...
20190527_103755-XL.jpg

End View visible from couch and dining room...
20190527_103745-XL.jpg

And a walk around video...

Any Critique, Criticism and SUGGESTIONS are very welcome!!

Looks good from the front but on the side views the rocks look way too close to the front panel. There won’t be any room for coral growth and it limits fish swimming paths.

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good from the front but on the side views the rocks look way too close to the front panel. There won’t be any room for coral growth and it limits fish swimming paths.

I see what you are saying... Looking at the tank from the front, I am OK with the left side being a little closer to the glass because that stack of rocks has a LOT of cave space and nooks and crannys between the stacked rock. However, the piece I have circled below could be removed and will open up the right side a LOT and give a better sight line from that side all the way to other side as well. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Capture-M.jpg

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Need some feedback on the aquascape for my 24g cube.

I started with 13lbs as below-
IMG_8926.JPG

Then i added more rocks to match the lbs:gallon ratio, and have two different layouts as below-
1st-
IMG_8932.JPG

2nd-
IMG_8940.JPG

Side view-
IMG_8942.JPG

Please let me know if you have suggestions for changes or which one looks better. Thanks!

Note- want to make is a mixed reef with sps at a later point.

(Can’t remove the below image in edit. Please ignore as this was before adding more rocks)
IMG_8926.JPG

Last edited:

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Need some feedback on the aquascape for my 24g cube.

I started with 13lbs as below-
IMG_8926.JPG

Then i added more rocks to match the lbs:gallon ratio, and have two different layouts as below-
1st-
IMG_8932.JPG

2nd-
IMG_8940.JPG

Side view-
IMG_8942.JPG

Please let me know if you have suggestions for changes or which one looks better. Thanks!

Note- want to make is a mixed reef with sps at a later point.

(Can’t remove the below image in edit. Please ignore as this was before adding more rocks)
IMG_8926.JPG
My preference is #1 with the 2 smaller rocks on the sand. Only advice is make sure you can get your hand around all rocks to clean the glass. Nice layout.

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference is #1 with the 2 smaller rocks on the sand. Only advice is make sure you can get your hand around all rocks to clean the glass. Nice layout.

You are right, that adds more depth to the view. And yes, i have enough space around the rocks for flow and cleaning. Thanks!

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New tank.... New aquascape

Please Tell me your opinions
d07ca7a02730b87783b51c3d18f9b615.jpg
467e2820dc438f5c58979f7d01d2ec96.jpg

Great job on the scape- one of the best I've seen in a while.

Remember the negative space can be just as (if not more) important than the rock itself. This will look incredible with the right fish and coral selection.

The 1 lb of rock per gallon is a fallacy. Your sand will perform the majority of nitrification, and there are many methods of denitrification. In fact, live rock is a poor denitrification media period.

Bravo.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am redoing my 3 yrs old reef tank (need to redo the floor where the tank is so may as well redo the scape).

Plan to add a couple rock formation while removing some existing. Like to try more open spaces and arch formation.

Any suggestions which rock to use that is not breaking my budget? Here is the FTS of the current tank (Redsea Reefer 350), I am planning to remove some of the monti caps that dominated the tank

A41734CC-FC2D-46C0-A353-2DE3F46862CC.jpeg

kareemkamal3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the scape- one of the best I've seen in a while.

Remember the negative space can be just as (if not more) important than the rock itself. This will look incredible with the right fish and coral selection.

The 1 lb of rock per gallon is a fallacy. Your sand will perform the majority of nitrification, and there are many methods of denitrification. In fact, live rock is a poor denitrification media period.

Bravo.
Thanks for your words my friend

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back