Tips for catching wrasse

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I added a marble Wrasse to my tank a little over a month ago. This past week he has gone after my clown fish. It has gotten pretty bad so I put my clown fish in a little buddy box I had( to keep them safe). I don't want to keep them in there for longer than needed so I want ti catch the wrasse. I know a lot of people have some success with cutting a 2L bottle and doing the DIY fish trap with food. I was curious if there were any other tips or traps I could try. I understand it might take a couple days but I'm willing to be patient and want to really try to get him this weekend. Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a fish trap with a weighted door and a piece of fishing line to catch my bully 6 line wrasse. I withheld feeding for a day then fed his favorite frozen into the fish trap. It took a few tries, but i got him and another in the trap, then separated and took the wrasse back to my LFS.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i used a sports drink bottle without the lid top to catch my yellow tail Coris wrasse, I drilled some holes at the base and tired a string around the neck of the bottle and sunk it lying flat on its side, when feeding time came, I got a turkey baster and squirted Mysis around the bottle first, then with one hand holding the length of string I squirted the Mysis into the bottle, he just went in, while my other fish were wary, I pulled the string the bottle came up and I held the bottle half out of the water as the water drained through the base of the bottle through the holes he had to stay down as there was only half the water in the bottle. I then transferred him into a prepared bag filled with tank water ready to take him back to the store.

ZAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
call local fish store...ask if they have fish trap rent ? I bought one from bulk reef supply made by aquamedic. has trap door on it,with fish line attached that will release door..it can take a few days to chatch fish...do not feed fish for 2 days then squart some frozen food into hole on top of trap when fish swims in pull the cord..

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I’m going to try a few of them over the next couple days and I’ll let you guys know which ones is successful :)

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I catch a fish in my tank is I have a 2 liter soda bottle cut the top off and put some food in there and wait for him to go in there and net him up. I've been successful with that on a couple of occasions.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I added a marble Wrasse to my tank a little over a month ago. This past week he has gone after my clown fish. It has gotten pretty bad so I put my clown fish in a little buddy box I had( to keep them safe). I don't want to keep them in there for longer than needed so I want ti catch the wrasse. I know a lot of people have some success with cutting a 2L bottle and doing the DIY fish trap with food. I was curious if there were any other tips or traps I could try. I understand it might take a couple days but I'm willing to be patient and want to really try to get him this weekend. Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Get a cheap dollar store hand mirror and put it in the bottom, aggressive fish love to go after their reflections.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back