Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to highjack the thread, but what are the ideal no3/po4 values for keeping a clam?
IME just detectable levels are fine, as are elevated ones long as it's not outside what most keep tanks at. That is 0.1 po4 and 10-20 NO3.

My system has a lot of clams connected to SPS tank... too many clams! They deplete phosphate and nitrate really fast and I had SPS issues until I realized what was happening. My phosphate bottomed out, which I didn't think was possible as I have auto pellet feeder 6x a day plus I add baby brine shrimp. But some acros started to bleach, others got brown and dry looking. I started adding neophos and used an entire bottle before levels became detectable again, no other changes, and the coral totally recovered.

I took my chaeto offline and now have even needed to start dosing phosphate and ammonia (I prefer ammonia over nitrate) to keep 0.05 PO4 (i would rather have 0.1) and 5-10ppm NO3.

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME just detectable levels are fine, as are elevated ones long as it's not outside what most keep tanks at. That is 0.1 po4 and 10-20 NO3.

My system has a lot of clams connected to SPS tank... too many clams! They deplete phosphate and nitrate really fast and I had SPS issues until I realized what was happening. My phosphate bottomed out, which I didn't think was possible as I have auto pellet feeder 6x a day plus I add baby brine shrimp. But some acros started to bleach, others got brown and dry looking. I started adding neophos and used an entire bottle before levels became detectable again, no other changes, and the coral totally recovered.

I took my chaeto offline and now have even needed to start dosing phosphate and ammonia (I prefer ammonia over nitrate) to keep 0.05 PO4 (i would rather have 0.1) and 5-10ppm NO3.
So in your experience, would 40 ppm NO3 and 0.16 po4 be too high for a dersa?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so important. I think most clams are killed by fish even if we don't notice it. The occasional nip maybe once per hour can be enough and we never see it. I have had purple and bristletooth tangs develop a taste for the mucus on a clam mantle despite many keeping clams with them just fine. Fish can are individuals and some act differently. Keep an eye on any grazer type of fish, I keep only water column feeding fish with my clams.
I agree with this. I have a purple tang (and a bristeltooth that pays no attention to my clam), but the purple almost constantly picks at the mucous on my derasa. The derasa is to the point where it barely pulls in anymore from the tang. It's almost like the clam is just used to the tang picking. The tang never damages the mantle, just picks the mucous off, or whatever it's doing. So I think clams can get used to picking that does no actual damage. But there's a reason I have no angels in my tank.

The only thing I'll add is that if you go with a sqauamosa or derasa, ones that grow quickly, be prepared for the extra calcium consumption. My derasa has grown almost 3 inches of new shell in the last year, and it sucks down a LOT of calcium. I can only imagine how much calcium you must go through with SPS and that many clams!

Here's my tang nipping at the mantle, and the clam is more or less "indifferent".
e39fd531-11fb-47ee-a88c-8ba058e7f1c8-jpeg.1982653

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your experience, would 40 ppm NO3 and 0.16 po4 be too high for a dersa?

I suspect it would be ok, but it's higher than I have run a system at. That being said I have heard of derasa being in even higher nutrient tanks, but I can't vouch for it.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. I have a purple tang (and a bristeltooth that pays no attention to my clam), but the purple almost constantly picks at the mucous on my derasa. The derasa is to the point where it barely pulls in anymore from the tang. It's almost like the clam is just used to the tang picking. The tang never damages the mantle, just picks the mucous off, or whatever it's doing. So I think clams can get used to picking that does no actual damage. But there's a reason I have no angels in my tank.

The only thing I'll add is that if you go with a sqauamosa or derasa, ones that grow quickly, be prepared for the extra calcium consumption. My derasa has grown almost 3 inches of new shell in the last year, and it sucks down a LOT of calcium. I can only imagine how much calcium you must go through with SPS and that many clams!

Here's my tang nipping at the mantle, and the clam is more or less "indifferent".
e39fd531-11fb-47ee-a88c-8ba058e7f1c8-jpeg.1982653

That is amazing, and it's awesome that the clam got used to it! I would caution people that it is not guaranteed the clam would become ok with the picking and it could have easily resulted in the clam starving from not enough light but I am really happy to see it can turn out ok too.

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it would be ok, but it's higher than I have run a system at. That being said I have heard of derasa being in even higher nutrient tanks, but I can't vouch for it.

Thank you!

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are strongly oriented towards a clam, if you simply want a mollusk you can also consider thorny oyster, super cool to look at and an excellent filter feeder can survive in any lighting.
But among the symbiotic clams, my personal opinion derasa is the most forgiving. Id' also suggest you get ones that are no smaller than 3-4" for better chances of success.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is amazing, and it's awesome that the clam got used to it! I would caution people that it is not guaranteed the clam would become ok with the picking and it could have easily resulted in the clam starving from not enough light but I am really happy to see it can turn out ok too.
Good point. I can only speak from my experience. And perhaps a derasas is more tolerant than say a maxima. But that would only be a guess on my part....

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a five inch blue maxima now six inches in two years. My tiger Derasa was three inches two years ago and now over six. 90g mixed reef running nitrates at 40 and phosphate at 0.5. Ca 492. Mg 1400. Alk 7.

Cam_official

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For maximas I've found 300 PAR to be the sweet spot for lighting.

Keeping stable and detectable nitrates and phosphates also seems like it helps keep them healthy.

ALWAYS quarantine new clams before adding them to a system with existing clams. I learned this the hard way when I lost my very healthy 6" maxima and 5" Noae after adding a new blue squamosa. . .

If possible, put new clams in a fish-free environment for the first few months. I've found it helps them to recover from the shipping stress and adjust to proper lighting when they have nothing to react to or be stressed by. It also makes the transition to the reef environment an easier adjustment when they're already healthy and can handle the stress of being around a bunch of fish.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back