What to do for my clam

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so no need to try to put a tile down for it and would you think it should be fine around some zoas
What's your par by the zoas? Zoas tend to be in the 100-150par range typically. My guess based on 3 AI hydra 26 on my 65g is this will still not be nearly enough for a clam. I have mine cranked to the max and about 6" from the water and I can keep Acropora about half way down in the tank. I took my diffusers off.. it helps with the spread because the AI were very narrow focus but they cut down on the overall par quite a bit.

Have you ever checked par with a meter? Curious what you found if you have. If you haven't it's a really good idea with LED's to set them and measure with a good meter so you can get them adjusted properly and have a good idea what your light levels are throughout the tank.

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have checked my par it has been a while though, I have had excellent coral growth including my trachyphillia but my nitrates and phosphates were too low according to my lfs and WWC. Unfortunately the clam is now dead but I am starting to see a slow rise in my nitrates and phosphates since the clam has been removed. Thank you all for your guidance. I’ll prolly stick to trachys in the future and stay away from clams. Hopefully I can’t help but add them to my tanks.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything less than 450 PAR is too low for large clams IME. And more is better.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have purchased a nice size blue maxima clam, with him opening and closing it had kept burying itself into the sand so I purchased a clam bed for it, problem was it was to large for the bed so after going to my lfs he advised to flip it over so it could sit on the flat rock and today it did not look so great. I tried the light test and move my hand over and I did not see a shadow and it did not retract, so I decided that was a bad test to I touched the mantle instead and the mantle will retract but the shell won’t.

I did have my water tested as well and I know my biggest issue is phosphates and nitrates ( barley to not even testable)
My salinity is 1.025
Calcium 420
Alk 7

In the past I have had great success with clams but since I have gone back to a reef tank I waited my year and added this one and I am a little scared for it, not only a $350 animal but a beautiful animal that should not Parrish, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Also the screen clip is what it looked like when I bought it

IMG_0190.png IMG_0189.jpeg IMG_0188.jpeg
Can we get an update on the blue Maxima clam? I have 6 in my tank They live on the sand bed just fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back