What to do for my clam

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have purchased a nice size blue maxima clam, with him opening and closing it had kept burying itself into the sand so I purchased a clam bed for it, problem was it was to large for the bed so after going to my lfs he advised to flip it over so it could sit on the flat rock and today it did not look so great. I tried the light test and move my hand over and I did not see a shadow and it did not retract, so I decided that was a bad test to I touched the mantle instead and the mantle will retract but the shell won’t.

I did have my water tested as well and I know my biggest issue is phosphates and nitrates ( barley to not even testable)
My salinity is 1.025
Calcium 420
Alk 7

In the past I have had great success with clams but since I have gone back to a reef tank I waited my year and added this one and I am a little scared for it, not only a $350 animal but a beautiful animal that should not Parrish, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Also the screen clip is what it looked like when I bought it

IMG_0190.png IMG_0189.jpeg IMG_0188.jpeg

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Not looking so hot.

I saved my Maxima by doing a series of 30 min pH adjusted freshwater baths. Just float a container of RODI water in your sump for 20 min to equalize temp, add a little buffer and place the clam in the bath for 30 min. I use a pipette to gently blow water at the clam’s mantle, but it will close up tight.

After 2 baths 5 days apart y clam has been going strong for a year now. Good lighting and phyto and zooplankton feedings have helped a lot too.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have purchased a nice size blue maxima clam, with him opening and closing it had kept burying itself into the sand so I purchased a clam bed for it, problem was it was to large for the bed so after going to my lfs he advised to flip it over so it could sit on the flat rock and today it did not look so great. I tried the light test and move my hand over and I did not see a shadow and it did not retract, so I decided that was a bad test to I touched the mantle instead and the mantle will retract but the shell won’t.

I did have my water tested as well and I know my biggest issue is phosphates and nitrates ( barley to not even testable)
My salinity is 1.025
Calcium 420
Alk 7

In the past I have had great success with clams but since I have gone back to a reef tank I waited my year and added this one and I am a little scared for it, not only a $350 animal but a beautiful animal that should not Parrish, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Also the screen clip is what it looked like when I bought it

IMG_0190.png IMG_0189.jpeg IMG_0188.jpeg
I don't understand what you mean by flipping it over.

Not all clams retract when they see a shadow, so that may not mean anything.

How did you acclimate it?
They're filter feeders so phyto will help as would boosting nitrates to > 5ppm if they're not already at that level.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your PAR like? They like pretty high light, so on the sandbed probably isn't the right choice for most of them. +1 that phyto can help, but it's not a short term solution, really. You could inspect for parasites, but I wouldn't really expect that is the issue.

archercorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say low nutrients is an issue for your clam. The low nutrient thing is a new shiny toy. Could be metals or something bothering it. You could of potentially pulled its foot too hard when it was attached to something.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam doesn’t look like it has been growing for some time. Very little shell growth. How long have you had it? What par is it under? Needs 300+. Get it up high.

/Looks like you have 2 Hydra 32s over a 150 gallon. I’m not familiar with those lights but they are 90 watts. Definitely not enough par on the sand bed with only 2.

Last edited:

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not getting enough light. At this point a FWD prob straight kills it, you can try to move it under strong light and dose phyto, but likely a goner

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand what you mean by flipping it over.

Not all clams retract when they see a shadow, so that may not mean anything.

How did you acclimate it?
They're filter feeders so phyto will help as would boosting nitrates to > 5ppm if they're not already at that level.
The clam bed I had flipped over so the clam could sit on the flat side of the rock and I did a 1 hour drip acclimation

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say low nutrients is an issue for your clam. The low nutrient thing is a new shiny toy. Could be metals or something bothering it. You could of potentially pulled its foot too hard when it was attached to something.
It was nave attached it had always sat in the sand until it hit the bed

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your PAR like? They like pretty high light, so on the sandbed probably isn't the right choice for most of them. +1 that phyto can help, but it's not a short term solution, really. You could inspect for parasites, but I wouldn't really expect that is the issue.
Not 100% on what my park is at but here is my lighting schedule it is a 5ft long 2ft deep tank with 2 hydra 32s and the clam is not directly below but just outside. I did add on a diffuser kit before the clam to reduce shimmer but increased intensity.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.png
    IMG_0191.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0192.png
    IMG_0192.png
    97 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam doesn’t look like it has been growing for some time. Very little shell growth. How long have you had it? What par is it under? Needs 300+. Get it up high.

/Looks like you have 2 Hydra 32s over a 150 gallon. I’m not familiar with those lights but they are 90 watts. Definitely not enough par on the sand bed with only 2.
I have had it for just over a month

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can only provide the best care you can for him and hope for the best. I do not think it would be help with this because it is not PMD

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but the first thing I look for is new growth on the shell. Most vendor images I see just show the pretty mantle colors which really do not indicate true health of the clam.
As some have stated lighting is crucial for success with clams. I've tried them a few times through the years but they always perished. Once I bought a par meter I then knew why, too little light even though the lights looked bright to me.
I have a Derasa on the sand under 300 par and a maxima attached to a rock under 350 par and both are growing well. I also have dirty water as far as nitrate and phosphate are concerned.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how would you advise on a 6” clam attaching to the rocks?
A two part solution: find an area where you can place it in your rock work.If your clam feels secure and happy there it will anchor itself down with what are called Byssal threads that come out and secure the clam.

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A two part solution: find an area where you can place it in your rock work.If your clam feels secure and happy there it will anchor itself down with what are called Byssal threads that come out and secure the clam.
Ok so no need to try to put a tile down for it and would you think it should be fine around some zoas

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back