Tips for QT a Pink Streaked Wrasse?

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips you guys have for Pinked Streaked Wrasses in QT? Are they usually not bad to get through QT or do they have common diseases they come in with? I’ll be picking one up soon and I just want to make sure I’m prepared. I’ll just be doing observation unless intervention is necessary.

Pmez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my uncle just QT Two of them one for me and one for him. They were pretty easy went through copper well for 12 days. I thought they would be similar to a six line wrasse but once they are in tank and display tank they move really slow like a Pygmy wrasse.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I’ll only do copper if I have to but I think I will do a freshwater dip before introducing the fish to the QT does that sound good?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do copper as a prophylactic treatment, copper is bad news for many fish, wrasses high on the list. These guys like many fish today have a high instance of internal parasites, so general cure is all I would use.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do copper as a prophylactic treatment, copper is bad news for many fish, wrasses high on the list. These guys like many fish today have a high instance of internal parasites, so general cure is all I would use.
So for general cure should I run it right when the fish gets in the tank or just if I see symptoms and the need to run it?

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses "can" be fluke magnets. A FW dip is an easy diagnostic tool. ;)
And when doing the freshwater dip should I do it right when I get the fish or wait a day after it’s acclimated to QT so it isn’t TOO stressed?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when doing the freshwater dip should I do it right when I get the fish or wait a day after it’s acclimated to QT so it isn’t TOO stressed?
That's a great question. Some do the dip before placing into a QT; some like to get the fish eating in the QT and then do the dip.

I like to observe the fish in a QT first. Look for injury (spinal injuries for wrasses esp.), infections from rub marks from shipping that are raw looking, etc and getting the fish eating. A spacious QT that has been cycled for weeks/months and that has sand, some floating and weighted plants, hiding places ( my wife makes these ceramic "caves" in different sizes and shapes) so the fish can rest after its travel. Almost all of my fish have to be shipped due to my rural location. Haven't lost a fish in a long time. So it works for me and my fish.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great question. Some do the dip before placing into a QT; some like to get the fish eating in the QT and then do the dip.

I like to observe the fish in a QT first. Look for injury (spinal injuries for wrasses esp.), infections from rub marks from shipping that are raw looking, etc and getting the fish eating. A spacious QT that has been cycled for weeks/months and that has sand, some floating and weighted plants, hiding places ( my wife makes these ceramic "caves" in different sizes and shapes) so the fish can rest after its travel. Almost all of my fish have to be shipped due to my rural location. Haven't lost a fish in a long time. So it works for me and my fish.
Ok this is really great advice thank you! My QT has been set up for about 2 1/2 months so it’s decently “mature” now. Also about the General Cure should I run it as a preventative or only run it if I see the need?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also about the General Cure should I run it as a preventative or only run it if I see the need
I do treat all of my new incoming fish with General Cure. Fish eat poop! And along with it "can" come internal pathogens. Dose, wait 5-7 days. Then do a 25% water change. Dose again, wait 5-7 days. Then do a 25% water change and then observe for 10-14 days. We have seen some prazi resistant flukes lately. So watching for signs is a good thing to do.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do treat all of my new incoming fish with General Cure. Fish eat poop! And along with it "can" come internal pathogens. Dose, wait 5-7 days. Then do a 25% water change. Dose again, wait 5-7 days. Then do a 25% water change and then observe for 10-14 days. We have seen some prazi resistant flukes lately. So watching for signs is a good thing to do.
Ok I’ll for sure run it then. So for the freshwater dip, after introducing the fish to the tank for about a day I’ll do it. But right when the fish gets in the tank the first day I’ll run general cure. Or should I get the fish eating before the dip?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The metro and prazi in General Cure can cause some fish to reduce or quit eating. Some shippers don't feed fish for a couple of days before shipping to reduce waste in the shipping bags. The fish's immune system needs some support and boost after all the stress and handling. I get them eating for at least a day or two "if possible."

A few months back there was a crazy out break of velvet and bacterial infections. So many were treating as soon as the fish went into the QT. It was that bad, so you adjust as needed.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The metro and prazi in General Cure can cause some fish to reduce or quit eating. Some shippers don't feed fish for a couple of days before shipping to reduce waste in the shipping bags. The fish's immune system needs some support and boost after all the stress and handling. I get them eating for at least a day or two "if possible."

A few months back there was a crazy out break of velvet and bacterial infections. So many were treating as soon as the fish went into the QT. It was that bad, so you adjust as needed.
Oh I see so get the fish eating if possible then use the general cure? When does the dip come into play in this?

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and also I’ll be picking up the fish from my LFS so they’ll be at the store for a few days if that makes a difference at all.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much better picking up the fish as far as wear and tear. I'd probably do the FW dip and then place into QT. Then get the fish eating. Ask to see the fish eating at the LFS. Make note of what they are feeding the fish.

The nano reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard others say pink streaked wrasse dont do well with freshwater dips. I didnt fw dip mine so i cant speak from experience but i do know that when my salinity is off my pink streaked seems to get very stressed out so i would suggest only fw dipping if its necessary .i would quarantine and only treat if you see signs of parasites or disease.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink streaked was fine in copper for 30 days - ate like a champ the whole time. It did have internal parasites which I cured with GC laced food bound with focus. I also treated for flukes and Brook with alternating doses of metro and GC (basically hot rocks’ protocol which you can find on the disease forum as a sticky).

I wouldn’t recommend FW dipping -Ihad a possum wrasse with flukes that took days to recover fromFW dips.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two other notes - I like to treat for flukes with fenbendazole now since I’ve had flukes survive GC.

if you do decide to FW dip make sure to oxygenate the water a ton and match pH

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to everyone for digging up an old thread but just out of curiosity, how did running just the GC wihout a FW dip work out for you? Our PSW showed up yesterday and he's in QT just for observation at the moment. I haven't fully decided how/if I'm going to treat.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back