Wrasse options?

racingskylines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon innovative. Cycle completed a week ago and I’m planning on adding a wrasse soon. So far I have a photon clown in the tank so I’m not sure that I want a possum. I really like the white line possum but I feel like I want a little more diversity in the fish department than two clown looking fish. I’ve been thinking a pink streaked wrasse. I use to have a six line in my old tank who had a great attitude and temper but after doing some research I feel that he might be needing more space than that 15 can provide. Mind you I’m probably going to keep the stocking light on the fish. It might be it at the six line and the clown. Maybe some type of goby or a red tail damsel down the road but not for a while. Any other options besides a six line or the pink streaked?

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a 20 gallon tank I my first wrasse was a small Yellow Coris. A model citizen that kept the pests away. Was quiet the jumper though so you will need a lid for any wrasse. I wish I still had it, he passed when I upgraded tanks and moved him to the new one.

If you're going for some vibrant colors a small Solorensis would work wonders. I have one and it's always a treat when he is out in the water column.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a possum wrasse in this size tank and like the six line I think he needs more space. He is very active and the space feels limited for him.
It sounds like you already decided against the possum anyway!

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only wrasse that I would recommend is a pink streaked wrasse.
These wrasse are great characters for a smaller tank where their personalities can shine.

A sixline wrasse, will need a larger tank based off of how they get in small quarters.
Yellow 'coris' and the solorensis wrasses will need a larger tank, their minimum recommended tank sizes are 50 gallons and 90 gallons respectively. While you may be able to house a juvenile for a short period of time, it won't stay small for too long, and then you risk aggression, disease from stress, or jumping.

Unrelated, but I would keep an eye on whatever smaller, more peaceful fish that you add with the clownfish when the clown matures. They can get pretty territorial, especially in a 15 gallon.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again , wait for a year for a "recently cycled tank" to get mature for a wrasse. They rely on eating pests , pods, and other things you likely dont have yet.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as others pointed out wrasses should be in established tanks just in case they won't eat right away too.
But if you can find a small possum wrasse I think that'd be fine for that tank compared to other wrasses. They are very slow moving and methodical, so depending on how much rockwork you have for it to go through it could be fine. But keep in mind wrasses are usually not nano friendly since most are very active swimmers.

OP
OP
R

racingskylines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a 20 gallon tank I my first wrasse was a small Yellow Coris. A model citizen that kept the pests away. Was quiet the jumper though so you will need a lid for any wrasse. I wish I still had it, he passed when I upgraded tanks and moved him to the new one.

If you're going for some vibrant colors a small Solorensis would work wonders. I have one and it's always a treat when he is out in the water column
Yea they’re definitely cool. He might be a candidate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back