Tips on adding pods?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My tank at one point had a huge pod population, but it seems to have dwindled. I thought I might "boost" the tank with one of the pod/phyto combos at algaebarn... They recommend 3 combos for my size of tank of 150g.

But that's rather expensive, so I thought maybe I'd just start with one. Is just one even worth doing in my size of tank? Is it "just a drop in an ocean" so to speak? Do I need to do 3 to really make it worth my while?

Is having a mandarin/dragonet really the only reason to keep a pod colony growing?

And of course any other tips you have are always welcome...

Bio load: 5 Chromis, 2 Clowns, 2 Banggai Cardinals, 1 Convict Tang, 2 Sand sifting stars, a crew of snails, 1 cleaner shrimp, and a handful of corals... Tank is 6mos old.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in refugium at night. They either stay in there or hit the tank with a little breathing room.

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read on this subject, there are usually more pods in your tank than you actually think. I do however add them from time to time just to be on the safe side as I do have a Scooter Dragonet.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Culturing pods would be a better economic decision. Buy one bottle of pods from Algae barn and culture it in a 10 gallon container. In three weeks you'll have five times as many.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Culturing pods would be a better economic decision. Buy one bottle of pods from Algae barn and culture it in a 10 gallon container. In three weeks you'll have five times as many.

Interesting! I will look into that.

Back