Tips on pairing these clowns

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m sure some of you are familiar with Luxo the lunatic, who has had her fair share of kills over the time I’ve had her. Well, after over a year since she killed her first mate, Nemo, I decided to give it another try. This time, I’ve chosen to select one that is half the size, to reduce the chances of him fighting back, and also the same color morph, to hopefully reduce the chances of Luxo rejecting him.

Today, I added the new clownfish to the tank. As of now, I have Luxo inside a breeder net with the new clown swimming around the tank. The two interact frequently through the barrier, though Luxo seems a little bit disturbed by the lack of swimming room and the presence of another clownfish. Hopefully she will become used to her new tankmate and will accept him as a partner.

To those who might have had a similar experience with pairing a new clown with an established one, do you have any tips for getting them used to each other and reducing the risk of one hurting the other? Thanks!

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m sure some of you are familiar with Luxo the lunatic, who has had her fair share of kills over the time I’ve had her. Well, after over a year since she killed her first mate, Nemo, I decided to give it another try. This time, I’ve chosen to select one that is half the size, to reduce the chances of him fighting back, and also the same color morph, to hopefully reduce the chances of Luxo rejecting him.

Today, I added the new clownfish to the tank. As of now, I have Luxo inside a breeder net with the new clown swimming around the tank. The two interact frequently through the barrier, though Luxo seems a little bit disturbed by the lack of swimming room and the presence of another clownfish. Hopefully she will become used to her new tankmate and will accept him as a partner.

To those who might have had a similar experience with pairing a new clown with an established one, do you have any tips for getting them used to each other and reducing the risk of one hurting the other? Thanks!
My female clown is aggressive and I added a new clown and she chased him around the tank a bunch for 4-5 days then they swam together more and more each day. Now they are a couple. Just how it worked for me

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she have a favorite spot in the tank? I know it's not always easy to do, but rearranging things a little can help prevent some territorialness... if she isn't as comfortable maybe she'll be more likely to accept a friend.

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i had a female attacking the male , i put in a larger peaceful fish (full grown male red margin fairy wrasse) and added an anemone. they have been peaceful since

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she have a favorite spot in the tank? I know it's not always easy to do, but rearranging things a little can help prevent some territorialness... if she isn't as comfortable maybe she'll be more likely to accept a friend.
She does have a torch that she hosts. Maybe I’ll move that, although the last time I rearranged things in the tank my lps didn’t take to kindly to it and started to melt…

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She does have a torch that she hosts. Maybe I’ll move that, although the last time I rearranged things in the tank my lps didn’t take to kindly to it and started to melt…
Don't do anything that will negatively affect the coral, for sure!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do anything that will negatively affect the coral, for sure!
(Although, euphyllia can get upset when clowns pester them too much, so it's possible that moving it would be a good thing all around...)

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Although, euphyllia can get upset when clowns pester them too much, so it's possible that moving it would be a good thing all around...)
The torch actually takes it surprisingly well. I’ve tried moving her from it but it never works…

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something interesting I’ve noticed—ever since Luxo was put by herself, all my other fish have become more active….
Full House GIF

:winking-face-with-tongue:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something interesting I’ve noticed—ever since Luxo was put by herself, all my other fish have become more active….
Hmm... May be a good excuse to set up another tank...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back