Tips/tricks to make wave pump safe for smaller fish?

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to make wave pumps safer for smaller fish? I have a smaller YTECH 6W wave pump that works for my 30gal, but a banggai cardinalfish (maybe 1" long including tail) got hurt after he got sucked onto the side of the pump and was stuck there for an unknown length of time (it was overnight) :(

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some have foam guards which kinda work, but you might have luck with a 3D printed guard. They're usually pretty cheap and if you can't find one, there's someone here that could probably make one for your particular pump? If you're not running a full on sps tank, then simply reducing the flow for a few days so the fish can orient themselves to their new surroundings can help. Most fish will learn quickly, but there are a few that never learn.

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some have foam guards which kinda work, but you might have luck with a 3D printed guard. They're usually pretty cheap and if you can't find one, there's someone here that could probably make one for your particular pump? If you're not running a full on sps tank, then simply reducing the flow for a few days so the fish can orient themselves to their new surroundings can help. Most fish will learn quickly, but there are a few that never learn.
The pump is already on the lowest setting because the fish were not happy with the current. I panicked and got a mesh breeding box and have it covering it, with a slit on the one side so the pump can still do it's job. I'll see if I can find any guards anywhere.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back