Tired of false information

  • Thread starter Thread starter Texasreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I couldn’t keep up with alk demand. I tried mixing sodium carbonate and bi carbonate to the point of saturation (even heating rodi water on the stove), but it wasn’t enough to realize any savings versus the Seachem product because I had to dose a lot of it (I get wholesale pricing). Trying another product while my tank was swinging in alk didn’t work out well. My sps tanks draw about 1.5-2 dkh of alk a day. Basically a lot of coral in smaller tanks. (50 and 75 gallon). Limewater is not an option I am willing to explore either. I’m wondering if caustic soda might be a better choice as an alternative.

The only way I can see a fail is if you just didn’t dose enough, or if there was runaway precipitation which requires steps to stop it before dosing more.
 
The only way I can see a fail is if you just didn’t dose enough, or if there was runaway precipitation which requires steps to stop it before dosing more.
The precipitation was an issue. Some fell out after it cooled. At the time, I looked up how to calculate the molecular weight to get maximum concentration, but even after doubling the normal dose of what the Seachem product was (about 80-90 ml of alk solution), the alk kept falling in the tank. It swung 1.5 dkh lower than normal, so I switched back. I have tried this evolution twice now, and failed both times as well.
 
The precipitation was an issue. Some fell out after it cooled. At the time, I looked up how to calculate the molecular weight to get maximum concentration, but even after doubling the normal dose of what the Seachem product was (about 80-90 ml of alk solution), the alk kept falling in the tank. It swung 1.5 dkh lower than normal, so I switched back. I have tried this evolution twice now, and failed both times as well.

I meant precipitation in the tank, not the dosing stock.

In any case, if precipitation in tank is an issue, then after it is interrupted, using a sodium bicarbonate mix rather than a sodium carbonate mix is my recommendation.
 
One other comment on Seachem Reef fusion. For inexplicable reasons, they claim it is designed for 1:1 dosing, but by their own potency numbers, it is not. Hard to know how they made that mistake.
 
Same way as the ocean, do 2-3 water changes every day.:cool:
It’s why I keep my tank in open sun light. Who needs expensive lights haha.
 
In this world today, everyone is out to strip you of every dollar they can. There is nothing we can do about it except influence the people in our own sphere. We can still keep really nice reef tanks even heavy acro with none of the tech and equipment everyone seems to think is needed. With BRS three part water changes and skimmer you can run a great reef tank.
 
I imagine all hobbies are affected by this scourge.

I play guitar and gear reviews videos are as bad as you’re describing. Infomercials that people willingly watch. I used to have a list of adjectives I pulled from guitar pedal videos. “Creamy midrange” and other nonsense.

There’s an extra level of nefariousness with the reef stuff, though, because animals are at stake. If you dupe some poor sap into paying $300 for a reverb pedal, then that’s just hollow retail therapy. If you do it with an aquarium that the hobbyist isn’t prepared to take care of, that’s lives at risk because of irresponsible husbandry.

It’s all just inadequate scratching at spiritual itches. Get the latest wiz bang and then finally your corals will thrive but really you’ll achieve inner peace. If you can shut out the noise and enjoy your life, well you’re practically half way to nirvana.
I’m also a huge fan of the “Creamy Midrange “ especially when it comes with a “Screaming fat” high range like my own squeaky sticky pedal puts out. I paid way more than $300 when it was first introduced by Hendrix but it’s kept my dkh level Rock Solid!

But seriously folks, I like how the look of a well designed and constructed aquarium and surrounding equipment. I think the marketing is often focused on the look instead of the function of the devices that are offered to the reefer.

Sites like R2R should provide a platform for vetting of equipment and products that are available to the hobbyist who wants to keep A LIVING reef and who is setting up their first aquarium.

Too many questions and not enough time to read and figure out what the truth is on the many things that can impact the success of the project.

We have our work cut out for us to educate ourselves and our neighbors about how to accomplish a living reef that is stable enough to sustain the life inside.

If people want to buy all the cool gadgets and elixirs to improve their experience I am happy to let them do that and I am willing to discuss the difficulties of sustaining a creamy midrange and the value of the Screaming Fat price tag or other options that are available to us.

bart eindhoven GIF by Teqball

genius hendrix GIF
 
Well I read the whole thread and the op has not replied.
I think the "all tanks are different" is a statement that confuses many.
Imo, it does not matter what's in you tank as the basics are the same in any system.
Many do not take the time to understand the basics.
The basics are what you need to understand in order to keep all parameters within your desired range.
It is simple if you get that part right. Social media is full of experts so beware.
My range
Temp 77-80
SG 1.026-1.027
Alk 7-8
Ca 420- 450
Mag 1300-1400
Po4 <.1
No3 < 5-10
These are the basics you need to understand in order to be successful, imo.
These are not absolute numbers just what I run.
Pic you range, before you start, and have a plan on what to do when your numbers climb above or below your setpoints.
Monthly water changes work but are old school, ask me how I know, lol.
I do 5% across 3 systems every 2-3 months. This is done by keeping my parameters within range.
Only other thing I add is trace elements to my top off water.
I run a carx on 1 system and esv 2 part on 2 other.
Keep it simple, have a plan, and enjoy your reef.
 
Sites like R2R should provide a platform for vetting of equipment and products that are available to the hobbyist who wants to keep A LIVING reef and who is setting up their first aquarium.
This is a goal of mine, but I’m not rich, Lol! I don’t have a reputation or business ties to worry about when giving honest feedback on products. But I could start doing it on products I already own, and have no monetary motivation to do so. :thinking-face:
 
I think the "all tanks are different" is a statement that confuses many.
Imo, it does not matter what's in you tank as the basics are the same in any system.
Many do not take the time to understand the basics.

I agree that while all tanks are literally different, there are simple facts that are true of all tanks. That statement leads some people to the false conclusion that

“Anything is possible”

Which is of course not true. It makes people accept ridiculous test results, wild hypotheses, tanks set up just for an photo shoot as a long term possibility, etc.
 
None of this is new. It’s all about $$$.

Back when I first moved to Chicago, I worked for a big and well known LFS (that thankfully shut down long ago). The owners and most who worked there really didn’t know much about aquariums from a scientific perspective. And they didn’t want to. Aquariums were a means to sell products.

They were a big Kent Marine retailer. At that time, I was doing service on their big clients. Each client had just about every Kent product they made…alkalinity, pH buffers, calcium, iodine (I think Kent had like 4 iodine products, and our clients would be sold all of them), and my favorite, Strontium and Molybdenum.

Mind you, most of these were fish-only systems :face-with-tears-of-joy:

It’s always about money.
 
well here it is… I will admit I was wrong & definitely got a lot of peoples attention/mad at me. I do apologize if I upset anyone and looking back my choice of words came out pretty strong.
I guess it was me venting & looking back now foolish of me. It definitely was not the right choice of words or way to go about! Truly hope I did not push any ones buttons to hard.

In a calmer manner this time all I was trying to get across was how much misinformation is out here (as every hobby has). I agree with what everyone has said. Loads of good information on social media that people can learn from, also loads of crap.

Again a very poor choice of words from my part. I love the hobby and how it brings the community together from all walks of the globe!

Sorry for not getting back sooner no signal offshore while working
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new