Tissue Recession or Growth?

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Hope you're all okay!

Recently, I've noticed white skeleton towards the bottom of one of my torch corals, I'm so on edge with torches after losing all of them a few months back, the littlest thing makes me worry now please see the attached video and let me know your thoughts, is it tissue recession or just growth?

Attachments

• 20210831_212441.mp4
    11.2 MB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture looks like recession.
Not necessarily the beginning of the end kind of recession.
Could be just the normal coral got relocated into a new tank and is adjusting to the new location recession.

The video doesn't show enough detail to make a definitive proclaimation regarding the observable recession. The Torch doesn't look obviously doomed at all, but it very well could be?

Not very helpful response but the the best one can provide without additional data and timeline information to detect a coral health trend either way.

A photo or video taken 24 -48 hours after this one might show improvements or additional recession or no changes. I am hoping it is improving. hth.

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be just the normal coral got relocated into a new tank and is adjusting to the new location recession.

The video doesn't show enough detail to make a definitive proclaimation regarding the observable recession. The Torch doesn't look obviously doomed at all, but it very well could be?

Not very helpful response but the the best one can provide without additional data and timeline information to detect a coral health trend either way.

A photo or video taken 24 -48 hours after this one might show improvements or additional recession or no changes. I am hoping it is improving. hth.
Okay, I noticed it about a week ago after I took it out of my frag tank, personally I haven't noticed it get worse, I just also haven't noticed it get better, it will also be being moved in a couple weeks into a new tank. Hopefully it's not a bad thing, as this is what happened earlier this year, they all seemed fine then they all bailed

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What details would be needed to make a more accurate observation? I have two other torches right next to it that have no observable signs, this one was extremely close to a leather coral though? Could that be an issue?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What details would be needed to make a more accurate observation? I have two other torches right next to it that have no observable signs, this one was extremely close to a leather coral though? Could that be an issue?
You’ve answered with your extra details. You noticed it a week ago and it appears unchanged, which indicates that the recession has stopped which is a good thing.
As far as moving coral around IMO this is/can be very stressful for coral. They normally stay put unless they get broken off or pushed around with storm surge.

Nature makes frags and moves coral around but if the conditions are not good in the new location it may not survive. Hence movement is potentially stressful.

obviously coral can adjust to a new location but less moving is less stress IMO

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve answered with your extra details. You noticed it a week ago and it appears unchanged, which indicates that the recession has stopped which is a good thing.
As far as moving coral around IMO this is/can be very stressful for coral. They normally stay put unless they get broken off or pushed around with storm surge.

Nature makes frags and moves coral around but if the conditions are not good in the new location it may not survive. Hence movement is potentially stressful.

obviously coral can adjust to a new location but less moving is less stress IMO
I completely agree, and hopefully the move into the new tank (omce cycled) will be it's last move!

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my torches are doing the same thing. Both look happy and fully extend but noticed the white tissue receeding.

Any idea why?
How are you're torches?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-111853_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-111853_Video Player.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my torches are doing the same thing. Both look happy and fully extend but noticed the white tissue receeding.

Any idea why?
How are you're torches?
Yours looks like growth to me, the skeleton underneath is yellow and old, this stuff is basically dead skeleton, they look extremely healthy and I wouldn't worry. I was concerned because of the white skeleton showing on mine. But they're all doing fine now thank you, how are yours?

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks like growth to me, the skeleton underneath is yellow and old, this stuff is basically dead skeleton, they look extremely healthy and I wouldn't worry. I was concerned because of the white skeleton showing on mine. But they're all doing fine now thank you, how are yours?
Sorry for the late reply I had no idea you sent me this.

Unfortunately the tissue on both torches is still receeding. Nevertheless they fully extend and seem happy.

Not sure what it is. My light period is pretty conservative so I don't think that's it and my current parameters are:

Alk 8.2

Phos .004

Nitrates (almost undetectable)

Salinity 1.025
20211001_163633.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back