OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks All am really honored. Mike, feel free to stop by anytime family and all after your back from deployment bud. Dave Dave Dave you just need to keep up with these things in our neighborhood...lol Since probably scrubbing the plans on a 450-600g system because it would not ever fit at our Beach House aka Retirement Home in the future I decided to just increase off the existing footprint. This way being able to utilize most everything I've built for my 125g acrylic 60x24x20 with two corner overflows to a 187g glass (3 sided Starfire) 60x24x30 with external overflow. Having a good friend in the 'Glass Business' has its perks and should be under a $1000 complete including modding of the plumbing.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great job. Especially on the stand. I don't have carpentry skills like that lol. You sure know your stuff. I hope it's not too personal to ask but how much did your whole lighting system cost you? I bought a maxspec razor for 400 bucks right before hearing about diy leds. I either need another razor or a whole new set up. I'm leaning towards building an led fixture.

The original build of this cost me around $1300 including the Apex package, all the aluminum stock but the channel for the uprights I already had. Mostly ordered and built off the 48 Ultra Premium Dimmable package from Rapid LED (now over $130 less than when I purchased) for all the Cree emitters, assorted optics and Mean Well Drivers and from Steve's LED's for additional specific colors I had in mind. I have upgraded a couple of time since replacing some older Epistar with newer generation Cree and adding Violet. I more than likely would do a DIY again even though fixtures like Reef Radiance DM-155 would be much cheaper even in choosing a custom layout. The one BIG advantage my array has over most all commercial fixtures is light spread more similar to T5 with very even PAR distribution throughout entire tank. I have no 'Hot Spots' or 'Dead Spots' what so ever because of the spread out emitters. I did have a bit of that 'Disco Effect' while running with optics though and removed them all very early on yet still running fixture as a whole at less than 45% of peak power. Even my 'Noonday' circuit of twelve Cree 6500K XM-L's are only running at about 70% and for only 2 hours 11am to 1pm daily. I haven't taken the time to run a PAR test with these on yet but with just the main circuits running I get between 250-350 throughout the majority tank and 100-150 under the tabling Acros from all the emitters not directly overhead.

​Cheers, Todd

Sicks Rocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That helped clear allot of my ideas. Rapid led has the 125g reef kits. There's one for $780 without the Onyx fixture. The with with the fixture is $890 but i feel the way you build your fixture seems to provide a more even distribution of light throughout the footprint of the tank. Your post has been very helpful. Right now I'm focusing on the lighting but I'm definitely going to keep following your posts. Next I am thinking of taking my tank apart and replacing the front pane with starphire.if money allows maybe the sides too. Either way I will post pictures of my depressing setup lol. Thanks again you have been real helpful

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, no problem and happy to help. Go ahead and post up pics of your setup, I'm sure they are/it is not that bad and can guarantee you that most all of started out with nothing like we have now. My first Marine tanks in the late 70's early 80's set on concrete blocks until I and good friend of mine who was a cabinet maker decided to improve things visually a notch...lol We eventually (1982) started a business just making Aquarium Furniture then Custom Cabinetry and Furniture later on. If you would like help with choosing a mix of emitters to match a preferred look feel free to pm or post in a new Build Thread if you decide the DIY route.

Cheers, Todd

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your photography skills are improving. Unfortunately for you, your corals are growing like weeds. You're going to have to do a major fragging again soon.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit more progress on my 'Fish Room' yesterday, will set last two rows of 24" Slate Tile today and then the fun of Grouting...... my least favorite part of tile work. The canopy facade is complete and will now start work on the top, 1/4-3/8" plywood with two large cutouts for a pair of 200mm fans to draw air up through aluminum grid/heatsink. The whole room looks way better without the scrap molding sitting atop the tank as a light shield.

First course of tile set

A little Sunrise action from this morning with the first two circuits ramping up

and a FTS from this morning as well

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys, room is really starting to come together now. Finished the tiling yesterday, plan to grout on Monday and rehang TV. I still need to order some Slate Liner Bars to trim out the sides and around the fireplace opening and then off furniture shopping to find a pair of Stress-less Recliners or similar. It will be nice to finally be able to sit down with a friend and a good Ale and talk 'Reef'.

Cheers, Todd

Meers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations Todd, love all the setup, the quality and dedication to detail. Truly enjoyed reading your posts so far, and curious for the next. Thanks for sharing it.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much Zach, Jackie, Meers and Duane my friend you will finally be able sit down and relax on a visit soon. Inkedsparkster, feel free to stop by for a visit most any time and if you're bringing Ale you'll be leaving with a box full of Corals....lol

Cheers, Todd

eww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you've been a busy, busy guy there Todd. The canopy like so many other have said, looks fantastic and the tile work is really adding to the room as well. Looks like we might need to stop by again shortly. I was thinking about it this weekend but as usual time got away from me. I did get the garage re-cleaned up and ready to go again. Now if only I cold get some sparky work done :D For those of you who have not seen this aquarium in person, yo have no idea just how stuffed full it is and the variety and placements of everything is so natural looking.

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holler when your ready with the glass tank. I've got a strong back (reinforced with screws and rods!!), we can swap them over. As a favor I can haul that nasty old acrylic away for you ;) after we toss a few Stouts back.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again guys....... Eric and Zach, you'll also be able to sit in one of the new chairs as well...... just not at the same time..... not in my house anyway....lol

Darn.... a delay on grouting til next week after special order liner bars and chair rail come in, so off to the Beach House for an extended Memorial Day weekend and maybe get in a little 22oz arm curls. Some locally brewed favorites.
IMG_20140510_124815950.jpg

I did find a couple of these little beauties in my overflow yesterday, a tad over a 1/4" top to bottom. First time the new male has carried babies full term.
IMG_20140519_112624158.jpg

Cheers, Todd

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back