~TJ'S 125g ~ Building of the Reef~

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking real nice Todd.

Let your wife know that when you get the new Starfire glass tank I'll help you with the swap so it will go faster. ;)

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good.....if you need an extra hand in the tank swap, I am available too.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick 'Top Down' pic update from today with no unnecessary verbiage.....................

Front left

Back left

Front center

Mid center

Front right

Back-ish right

Never mind the Cyano on the sand bed please..... reaction to 'Nualgi' ???

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Krista, and hopefully be able to show off the nearly finished remodel of room with new canopy very soon.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...... humdrum.... wouldn't you know it.... to cold and wet in Seattle to do any finish work today so thought I'd do a little tank maintenance and while I had all the pumps off in an attempt to zap a couple of stray Aiptasia decided to get a few more 'Top Down' pics in areas that did not turn out so well from the other day. I am really starting to like taking 'Top Downs' as get a very different view of my Reeftank than normally do and even see things long forgotten about.

Really Back-Right shot.... and yes I can see the darned Bubble Algae in the Koralia and in the other ends Left Back pic.....lol

Back mid right

Left back (in fron t of overflow box) you can see those two PESKY BUGGERS to the right of the Purple Hornets

Back left

Back mid left

And just to be sure it really fits fully assembled with crown. This is only with the second of four coats of Spar Varnish applied.

So back to setting some mosaic tiles and wait for a warmer day to apply more varnish on the canopy.

Cheers, Todd

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good...will need to make it over and see in person.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kirk and Chris and both welcome most any time. Chris if and when you get a chance to visit would be happy to send you home with a cooler full of trimmings, as you can see darned Corals keep growing out of the tank. Only willing to trade so many to my LFS, rarely post on any Livestock For Sale Forums and would much rather give them away 'Pay It Forward' anyhow.

Cheers, Todd

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kirk and Chris and both welcome most any time. Chris if and when you get a chance to visit would be happy to send you home with a cooler full of trimmings, as you can see darned Corals keep growing out of the tank. Only willing to trade so many to my LFS, rarely post on any Livestock For Sale Forums and would much rather give them away 'Pay It Forward' anyhow.

Cheers, Todd

Todd I know you are a wood worker type of guy, I don't know if you knew or not but I have a sawmill and I'd love to bring you some lumber to do whatever you wish with. Trade for frags LOL. I have a bunch of different types of wood right now, but mainly Western Red Cedar "both old and second growth". I've also got Alaskan Yellow Cedar, Redwood, spalted and figured local Maple, and all the other native types.

Or if you want to come dig through the pile some day your more than welcome to do that too!

Sicks Rocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really nice looking tank. I have a 125g too. Do you have all your set up posted on here? I'm new and Been looking for someone with a similar size tank. But I'm not having any success. I think I have to start from scratch since I rushed into things.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, I love to barter so will definitely give you a call to figure something out as in need of an appropriate Mantel for my new Fireplace project.

Sicks Rocks, I do have most of my build from the beginning in this now 9 page thread. Feel free to ask any questions on here or in pm and will be happy to answer.

Andy, my pleasure bud. Now I need to try and take the same pics with my real camera instead of with my phone. Thinking of building a photo-tube thinga ma jiggy for my Macro Lens.

Cheers, Todd

Colors added just for Josh...........

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would definitely be sweet and worth doing. You would get some stellar pics!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Todd! Great build and your cabinetry work is outstanding, really :D I read though your thread and know how it is to have to let your tank sit fallow after all the hard work. Those herbal meds killed most of my inverts as the LFS neglected to tell me that could happen and lost all my fish but the one who started it all. Then months later it came back again. It's hard but fallow is best. Your mini ocean is beautiful!

Sicks Rocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great job. Especially on the stand. I don't have carpentry skills like that lol. You sure know your stuff. I hope it's not too personal to ask but how much did your whole lighting system cost you? I bought a maxspec razor for 400 bucks right before hearing about diy leds. I either need another razor or a whole new set up. I'm leaning towards building an led fixture.

Stemick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canopy looks amazing. When I get back later this summer I will have to see it in person. I might have to bring the wife by too so she can see what all her hard work on my tank will I'm gone can pay off to be in the long run. Thanks for sharing an inspirationally awesome tank Todd.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back