To build or not to build.... That is the question

Rocklefrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I am new here but have been reading and doing research here for quite a while. I had a small 20 gallon reef some years ago and am looking to get back into the hobby in the next year with my daughter who just turned 1 as she loves going to the aquarium and looking and fish and coral not to mention I have been looking for an excuse to convince my wife to start another reef tank. I own my own construction company and am very handy and have almost every tool you could ever need. So my question is should I build my own tank or not? I am really into shallow tanks so the thought would be for a 72" long x 24" wide x 16" tall. I am thinking acrylic since I mentioned kids glass makes me nervous. I figured 1/2 acrylic with eurobraced top. I would love to buy a tank and save time but buying this size tank seems expensive. Please let me know what you guys think I would appreciate any feedback as I know there are a lot of experts and great reefers on here that seem to be willing to help. Thanks from a new reef2reef member.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are handy with a router I'd do a few test pieces and see if you can get smooth edges. We are talking zero machine marks or pits. I built my 96"x22"x22" out of 1/2" acrylic and my seams weren't perfect so I got paranoid and ran filets of weld on 40 along all of the seams. The tank has held up great and it was a 1/4 of the price of buying one but I'm still paranoid that I'm going to come home to a flooded floor. Building a plywood tank would be much more forgiving.

And I would go as big as you possibly can because there is a good chance you will have wish you would have went bigger. Next year I'm going to start a 120" plywood tank to replace the 96" acrylic.

OP
OP
Rocklefrag

Rocklefrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are handy with a router I'd do a few test pieces and see if you can get smooth edges. We are talking zero machine marks or pits. I built my 96"x22"x22" out of 1/2" acrylic and my seams weren't perfect so I got paranoid and ran filets of weld on 40 along all of the seams. The tank has held up great and it was a 1/4 of the price of buying one but I'm still paranoid that I'm going to come home to a flooded floor. Building a plywood tank would be much more forgiving.

And I would go as big as you possibly can because there is a good chance you will have wish you would have went bigger. Next year I'm going to start a 120" plywood tank to replace the 96" acrylic.

Thanks for the reply! Did a quick search for plywood tank and don't see to much info on here.
Any advice on where to do some research?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you build it they will come....... I needed an odd size tank. The price was out of this world. I saved 70% by building it myself.
http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/38910-tank-sump-build-500-gal/
You can read what I went thru to build it.
If i can make a sugestion. Unless you are good with a router its not too much more to have an acrylic supplier cut and route the pieces on a cnc machine. This will save you some gray hair. Chose your materials after doing the research including the welding cement. If after practicing you can not make great seams with weldon 3 or 4 weldon # 40 is a bit more forgiving on thicker materials.

OP
OP
Rocklefrag

Rocklefrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you build it they will come....... I needed an odd size tank. The price was out of this world. I saved 70% by building it myself.
http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/38910-tank-sump-build-500-gal/
You can read what I went thru to build it.
If i can make a sugestion. Unless you are good with a router its not too much more to have an acrylic supplier cut and route the pieces on a cnc machine. This will save you some gray hair. Chose your materials after doing the research including the welding cement. If after practicing you can not make great seams with weldon 3 or 4 weldon # 40 is a bit more forgiving on thicker

Wow is all I can say! Your setup is very impressive and for sure a dream tank. Much respect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back