To clown or not to clown?

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So around a year ago I saw some awesome clownfish videos where the clowns were bouncing around in anemones and even Euphyllia.
Those videos were a pretty big motivator for me to want my own clowns. Those bright orange fish bouncing up and down in the beautiful flowing corals or anemone was awesome to watch, I wanted it in my own room.

I researched them a bit, felt confident getting them, now I have them in my tank now for a while.

Buuuuuut....

There are some things that apparently I didn't come across, such as:
- The experience of my clowns occasionally biting off a tip of my hammer corals (not ideal) (I was told this is to 'build immunity' to the corals' sting).
- I was told that clowns can bounce 'too enthusiastically' on Euphyllia, and accidentally scrape and kill them!

Now I love my clownfish pair, don't get me wrong.
They're incredibly stupid, goofy, wiggly, beautiful, and classic fish, but after hearing they might decide to host a euphyllia and kill it with their rubbing on it, I'm feeling a bit conflicted.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them (a coral die from clownfish enthusiasm)?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen clownfish fixate on all kinds of things including a rock. It is part of the mystery, magic, and madness of clowns. For many it is worth the risk, but there is always some level of risk. Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen clownfish fixate on all kinds of things including a rock. It is part of the mystery, magic, and madness of clowns. For many it is worth the risk, but there is always some level of risk. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Thanks Peace. I do love the clowns. If they get along with a micro goby maybe I'll keep them

JC_k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns host in all my torch and hammer coral, along some other lps. It seems the coral has actually gotten use to them, but at first they stayed retracted for a week or so. I feel like a reef tank isn’t a reef without a clown hosting something’s it’s not suppose to

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back