To drill or not to drill

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!

so I’m gonna make a DIY sump and I was gonna just go with a HOB overflow. In order for me to drill I would have to drain all the water into one of my large totes, move the fish, drill and move everything back. What’s everyone’s opinion? Should I just go ahead and drill or just go with a HOB overflow?

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the HOB sumps. keeps the foot print inside tiny, just make sure you have plenty of flow and bubbles will never accumulate. ive had one running for 10 years never had an issue. recently replaced the U-tube with a new shiny one lol.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!

so I’m gonna make a DIY sump and I was gonna just go with a HOB overflow. In order for me to drill I would have to drain all the water into one of my large totes, move the fish, drill and move everything back. What’s everyone’s opinion? Should I just go ahead and drill or just go with a HOB overflow?
Honestly, I kinda wish that I drilled mine but I actually have had no problems with my eshopps hob overflow ever since I purchased it almost a year ago. Just make sure you clean your “u” tubes regularly so they don’t get clogged. Thats my personal experience, others may argue otherwise.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill, without question. My first tank was an HOB overflow and even with an aqualifter, I had two floods. After that second flood.....drilled tank.

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill, without question. My first tank was an HOB overflow and even with an aqualifter, I had two floods. After that second flood.....drilled tank.

You know all my friends with aqualifters have had floods. ive used a basic HOB for over 10 years without a single issue. If you keep your flow rate high enough for bubbles not to accumulate youll never break the siphon. easy to remove and clean. ive never heard good things in the long run with those aqualifter HOB

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Obviously check for tempered glass and be prepared if something goes wrong with the tank when you're drilling, but that said I would still suggest that you consider drilling the tank. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m in a similar situation. Is it possible to drill a partially filled tank?

Not recommended at all. Because you are really grinding more than drilling per se, you will have glass dust residue in the water and potentially even a few small chards of glass if you don't have a perfectly clean cut. Additionally, because you want water running on (or covering) the hole it is difficult to do without the tank on its side.

Devildawgusmc_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!

Just drill the dang thing. I told you I’d let you borrow the tool...

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not recommended at all. Because you are really grinding more than drilling per se, you will have glass dust residue in the water and potentially even a few small chards of glass if you don't have a perfectly clean cut. Additionally, because you want water running on (or covering) the hole it is difficult to do without the tank on its side.
What if I taped a bag underneath where I was drilling to catch the water and glass? Would I still have the same problem? Thank you

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill Baby Drill!

it’s a whole new world.

drain it a foot down and drill. Take your time, keep drill bit cool. Have big buckets around in case of emergency

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What if I taped a bag underneath where I was drilling to catch the water and glass? Would I still have the same problem? Thank you

IMO it's not worth the risk. I have drilled over thirty tanks and it is hard for me to imagine that ending well.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I kinda wish that I drilled mine but I actually have had no problems with my eshopps hob overflow ever since I purchased it almost a year ago. Just make sure you clean your “u” tubes regularly so they don’t get clogged. Thats my personal experience, others may argue otherwise.
Yes clean your tubes. Mine has slowed up a couple times but once I washed them out they were fine. But if you drill, do it. I know I will be doing when I get a bigger tank.

Back