To full siphon or to not full siphon...

Shad Quill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm second guessing my plan to create a full siphon back to the sump. I've thought about raising the frag tank so I could come in over the top but I hate that idea. I'm sorta OCD with how I like things played out. This is all currently dry fitted so everything is able to be re routed and moved.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched your video. I run my tanks as Bean overflows with 45’s into the sumps. Whether you run a Bean or not, the same “rule” applies. In regards to the siphon: it may or may not work. There are two reefers in the hobby who I consider to be the “guru’s” on this topic, and unfortunately neither reside here. William Burnett (Bean himself) and RC member Uncleof6. I would research their thoughts on horizontal runs.
Like I said, you might be fine. A couple thoughts though. What “weir” are you referring to in the video? Will there be an internal box? Also, what valve are you talking about? Your siphon will not need a gate or a ball. Were you referring to an open channel in addition to your siphon?

OP
OP
Shad Quill

Shad Quill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched your video. I run my tanks as Bean overflows with 45’s into the sumps. Whether you run a Bean or not, the same “rule” applies. In regards to the siphon: it may or may not work. There are two reefers in the hobby who I consider to be the “guru’s” on this topic, and unfortunately neither reside here. William Burnett (Bean himself) and RC member Uncleof6. I would research their thoughts on horizontal runs.
Like I said, you might be fine. A couple thoughts though. What “weir” are you referring to in the video? Will there be an internal box? Also, what valve are you talking about? Your siphon will not need a gate or a ball. Were you referring to an open channel in addition to your siphon?
Yes there will be an internal box. So, I won't need to put a gate valve in even though the return is going to be below the water line?

So are you saying I could use two street or spigot 45s out of the bulkhead to the wall and route them around to the top of the sump? Also do you think the point of return will matter? I'd like to dump it into the chamber before the fuge

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate valve is for tuning the return. And most likely he’ll b adding the weir as he’s still plumbing. I run 3 durso 2 1 full 1 almost and emergency and run a gate for tuning and service...

OP
OP
Shad Quill

Shad Quill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate valve is for tuning the return. And most likely he’ll b adding the weir as he’s still plumbing. I run 3 durso 2 1 full 1 almost and emergency and run a gate for tuning and service...
Any pictures of how you have things run?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video quickly, but it appears he has a ball on his return and was talking about putting a gate on his drain. OP if so you will have an emergency drain?

OP
OP
Shad Quill

Shad Quill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video quickly, but it appears he has a ball on his return and was talking about putting a gate on his drain. OP if so you will have an emergency drain?
Yes. The bulkhead closest to the wallbwill be an emergency drain. It will enter above the water level in the sump

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the opinion on switching the 90s to back to back 45s or even swept elbows to reduce restriction. Far too many 90s on the return as well. A lot of unnecessary restriction. Maybe consider stepping up the size of the return to minimize the restriction and step it down at the return to increase the velocity at the output.
The closer you have the valve to the inlet to the drain line, the faster the pipe will fill with water, reducing the time to return to full siphon when pumps are turned back on.

With the head height so short and the vertical run so long, you may have issues. Stepping up to a larger diameter pipe after the valve may help. You can set up a quick experiment with a bucket or cheap plastic storage container. Drill it and put it about where your tank will be, set up the bulkheads and fittings so the water levels will be about the same. You'll have to figure out a pump situation to estimate the return flow as it looks like the system is not ready for water and the frag tank isn't running a dedicated pump.

I recently did something similar as I am running a smaller tank (much smaller than your sump or frag tank) and all the plumbing discussions and flow rates are based on plumbing that would be far too large for the flow I'm looking at and I wanted to see some real data instead of just the theoretical numbers.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back