To QT or not to QT

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my tank fallow for 90 days following a Brook outbreak I had that wiped out both of my clowns earlier this year. I have added nothing new to to DT for 80 days during my fallow period and had only inverts and coral in the tank. I purchased a royal gramma and a flasher wrasse and put them through a month long QT process following HumbleFish's guide. I treated with Prazi and Cupramine. Both fish showed no signs of ich in QT. After a month in QT I transferred both to the DT. To my frustration the wrasse is showing possible signs of ich. 1 day he will have 2-3 small slightly elevated white dots on him but the next they will be gone. In the 2 weeks he has been in the DT this has happened 3 times. He does like to lay the sand at night. He is fully active, eating fine, no scratching or flashing. Could this be sand sticking to him or is it probably ich? The gramma shows no signs of this. I am currently running 2 clownfish through QT, will be using Copper Power this time around and I'm having a really hard time deciding whether or not to pull the 2 fish in the DT and put them through QT AGAIN. On one hand I really hate to because I know it is hard on the fish, I also tried to catch the wrasse and gramma a couple of times which is proving nearly impossible due to my rock work and coral.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the copper amount was kept in the therapeutic range during the duration of QT, then likely it's just sand. Nothing is 100%.

@Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its just on the wrasse, I would suspect sand as well. Grammas are much more prone to Ich, velvet, etc. so keep a close eye on that fish.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown gave me a scare recently in the QT. She ended up sleeping in a bed of marine pure particles.

here’s a pic of her with marine pure on her and the floor of the tank

BC192F23-E028-457A-9452-AD6FFD799D27.jpeg

OP
OP
Auburn866

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown gave me a scare recently in the QT. She ended up sleeping in a bed of marine pure particles.

here’s a pic of her with marine pure on her and the floor of the tank

BC192F23-E028-457A-9452-AD6FFD799D27.jpeg
That is exactly what my wrasse looks like every once in awhile! Thank you all for the advice, I just don't want to treat fish with copper unnecessarily.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back