OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with dshipped fish is you want a turnover of at least twice the water volume to equalize salinity and PH and fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia non-toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia. That raises the pH of the water in the bag, and that in turn, makes the residual ammonia toxic to the fish.
That may be the cause then, I’ve had pretty good luck with shipping in the past but I’m not sure how tangs do with shipping

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That may be the cause then, I’ve had pretty good luck with shipping in the past but I’m not sure how tangs do with shipping
Overall they do well but also dependent on how long in bags and how well packed

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 9 days I don’t think it is ammonia poisoning, especially if the fish is not in distress for the last 9 days.

The difficulty to determine here is the OP said the fish was fine and eating like a pig right before he died.

Description of the fish and his behavior before his death is really important here
It would hide when I walked up to the tank but that is normal I beleive. The last two days tho it would come out when I walked up cause it knew it was feeding time, and once I walked away it would be out and swimming constantly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back