Sailfin
Gem tang
Royal gramma
Foxface
1 lyretail
Leopard wrasse
Red velvet fairy
Red head Solon wrasse

Looking to add 1, maybe 2 more wrasses. Please vote, discuss, or add recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
naoko or yellow wrasse. or both ;)

i've had both(not together), and both are cool looking fish. the yellow wrasse did help with pests and would constantly hunt around. unfortunately the naoko i received most likely has the UWND(unidentified wrasse neurological disease) and is slowly reaching its end..

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking list for new tank so far is:
2 clowns
Kole tang
Sailfin
Gem tang
Royal gramma
Foxface
1 lyretail
Leopard wrasse
Red velvet fairy
Red head Solon wrasse

Looking to add 1, maybe 2 more wrasses. Please vote, discuss, or add recommendations. Thanks in advance.
What is the tank size?

You may also find some wrasses will just wither away in this tank because it’s too established and high in activity.

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the tank size?

You may also find some wrasses will just wither away in this tank because it’s too established and high in activity.
Really didn’t consider the high activity of the current stocking and more additions with high activity in a tank. I was mainly focusing on aggression and compatibility and adding more color. This tank is a 100g 4ft, way overstocked I know”

I do have a 75 that has water in it and being setup so if say aggression becomes an issue or anything I can offload some of the stock to that tank. I also have a 220 in the garage that is in the early stages of planning which hopefully everything would be transferred over to within the year end but I know that can end in wishful thinking sometimes.

but all that to say, I’m trying to push the limits on the 100g which are kinda already pushed thanks to the tangs lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really didn’t consider the high activity of the current stocking and more additions with high activity in a tank. I was mainly focusing on aggression and compatibility and adding more color. This tank is a 100g 4ft, way overstocked I know”

I do have a 75 that has water in it and being setup so if say aggression becomes an issue or anything I can offload some of the stock to that tank. I also have a 220 in the garage that is in the early stages of planning which hopefully everything would be transferred over to within the year end but I know that can end in wishful thinking sometimes.

but all that to say, I’m trying to push the limits on the 100g which are kinda already pushed thanks to the tangs lol
Put it this way, here’s what my stocking in a 4’x2’x18” tank was;
IMG_9958.jpeg

If you’re pushing the limits mine in theory should’ve crashed haha.
All those empty gaps were fish I had in there.
Here’s an FTS of that tank when it was set up. Now those remaining fish reside in a 5’ tank.
IMG_9826.jpeg

As you can see I’ve had a bunch of wrasses and I’ve found some that hated being in after the tangs and other aggressive fish causing them to just wither away. Here’s the ones I think are bad ideas for this reason - The Scottorum is crossed out for a different issue.
IMG_9959.jpeg

The Scotts is crossed out as they are known for not cohabitating well with other Wrasses (specifically the Flashers and Fairies).
A good one I recommend however is the Radiant as if you get a healthy one they seem to go in unbothered. I wish I could get mine out from my nano as she loved the 4’ and I bet she’ll love the 5’ even more.

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it this way, here’s what my stocking in a 4’x2’x18” tank was;
IMG_9958.jpeg

If you’re pushing the limits mine in theory should’ve crashed haha.
All those empty gaps were fish I had in there.
Here’s an FTS of that tank when it was set up. Now those remaining fish reside in a 5’ tank.
IMG_9826.jpeg

As you can see I’ve had a bunch of wrasses and I’ve found some that hated being in after the tangs and other aggressive fish causing them to just wither away. Here’s the ones I think are bad ideas for this reason - The Scottorum is crossed out for a different issue.
IMG_9959.jpeg

The Scotts is crossed out as they are known for not cohabitating well with other Wrasses (specifically the Flashers and Fairies).
A good one I recommend however is the Radiant as if you get a healthy one they seem to go in unbothered. I wish I could get mine out from my nano as she loved the 4’ and I bet she’ll love the 5’ even more.
really appreciate the insight, as I’m far from a self appointed fish expert just tried to use the compatibility chart. Also loved seeing another heavy stocked tank ❤️ just beautiful lol

I’m open to the yellow Coris for that splash of color and help with pests. The radiant is just a beautiful contrast of 2 colors.

Are there any recommendations that pop in your head not on my poll? I don’t have deep pockets but don’t mind finding something “reef safe” up to about 200 but doesn’t have to be anything expensive either.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really appreciate the insight, as I’m far from a self appointed fish expert just tried to use the compatibility chart. Also loved seeing another heavy stocked tank ❤️ just beautiful lol

I’m open to the yellow Coris for that splash of color and help with pests. The radiant is just a beautiful contrast of 2 colors.

Are there any recommendations that pop in your head not on my poll? I don’t have deep pockets but don’t mind finding something “reef safe” up to about 200 but doesn’t have to be anything expensive either.
There’s quite a few nice ones but they can become pricey unfortunately, I’ve learnt the hard side of the wrasse game. I know a few other people with some gorgeous collections that are worth a fortune.

Some Fairies I’d look into are;
Lineatus Fairy (Cirrhilabrus lineatus)
Lubbock’s Fairy (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
Yellow Fin Fairy (Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There’s quite a few nice ones but they can become pricey unfortunately,
not to mention depending on if a fairy/flasher, you could run into the random unidentified wrasse neurological disease (UWND). so it could definitely cost you more to properly QT/source some

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to mention depending on if a fairy/flasher, you could run into the random unidentified wrasse neurological disease (UWND). so it could definitely cost you more to properly QT/source some
Ohhh the Lineatus has been on my list, didn’t wana spend that much but at the same time, I did get a gem tang

But yes, I do try to source pre quarantined if possible, if not I have a tank on standby.

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get another sand sleeper like a Radiant. My yellow wrasse is also very nice but very timid and I don't know how she would do in a very active tank like yours. Naokoe have a rep for being able to stick up for themselves. Another one in that category could be a lubbocki--smaller, but with a rep for sticking up for itself. I would not put a pintail in there with those other fish. The other fish might not be aggressive toward the pintail, but the pintail itself might be so intimidated that it doesn't do well. If it were me, I'd also consider a Labouti, as they are also on the medium aggression scale and I like their looks.
1712695738949.png

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get another sand sleeper like a Radiant. My yellow wrasse is also very nice but very timid and I don't know how she would do in a very active tank like yours. Naokoe have a rep for being able to stick up for themselves. Another one in that category could be a lubbocki--smaller, but with a rep for sticking up for itself. I would not put a pintail in there with those other fish. The other fish might not be aggressive toward the pintail, but the pintail itself might be so intimidated that it doesn't do well. If it were me, I'd also consider a Labouti, as they are also on the medium aggression scale and I like their looks.
1712695738949.png
Agree another sand sleeper would probably reduce risk of issues as well. I have had Lubbocki and the past and the wife actually loved the fish.

The labouti has always kinda interested me, but I’m usually a sucker for not buying a fish unless I’ve seen it in person before, and that’s one I’ve never gotten the chance to witness.

A while back I fell in love with the exquisite and ordered one, only to not care for it too much once it was settled in. Hard to explain but the labouti may be of interest.

For all the conversations and poll so far, i think im leaning something from here:

Radiant
Yellow Coris
Lineatus

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree another sand sleeper would probably reduce risk of issues as well. I have had Lubbocki and the past and the wife actually loved the fish.

The labouti has always kinda interested me, but I’m usually a sucker for not buying a fish unless I’ve seen it in person before, and that’s one I’ve never gotten the chance to witness.

A while back I fell in love with the exquisite and ordered one, only to not care for it too much once it was settled in. Hard to explain but the labouti may be of interest.

For all the conversations and poll so far, i think im leaning something from here:

Radiant
Yellow Coris
Lineatus
I vote Radiant and Lineatus!

Yellow “Coris” are honestly bland IMO, I prefer the Silver Belly (Halichoeres leucoxanthus). And in terms of colour balancing you already have yellow from the foxface unless you have a Magnificent, Bicolour or Tongan Black Fox but not much purple or red.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree on the pintail. All 3 I have owned were out, about, loud, and proud. My rather active tank was no issue with any of them.

Of course I did loose all 3 to jumping, so I do not own one currently, but would not hesitate to put one back in my active tank.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Radiant
Yellow Coris
Lineatus
Radiants and yellow Cori’s are awesome. I don’t really know much about others. I have a six line.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree on the pintail. All 3 I have owned were out, about, loud, and proud. My rather active tank was no issue with any of them.

Of course I did loose all 3 to jumping, so I do not own one currently, but would not hesitate to put one back in my active tank.
I’ve found most wither away if added in after established tangs.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back