To what degree is a phosphate spike harmful to LPS?

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv been very curios to see to what degree is a phosphate spike or slight rise harmful to corals mainly LPS. I see many tanks fluctuating between 0.05 to 0.10 for example and never really have a solid stable PO4 value. I know stability is what we all try to achieve but in the end is that slight fluctuation enough to tick things off? Or do we really need a huge spike to tick things off maybe going from 0.05 to 0.30?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv been very curios to see to what degree is a phosphate spike or slight rise harmful to corals mainly LPS. I see many tanks fluctuating between 0.05 to 0.10 for example and never really have a solid stable PO4 value. I know stability is what we all try to achieve but in the end is that slight fluctuation enough to tick things off? Or do we really need a huge spike to tick things off maybe going from 0.05 to 0.30?
My tank is mostly LPS and I've had my tank go from 0.03 to 0.35 phosphate in a couple of days in either direction and have never really noticed anything to any of them.

Main.JPG

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm less concerned about LPS.

Acropora on the other hand can start to RTN.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back