Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Andrew.

Thanks for the warmest of welcomes Jimbhoy13

Welcome Andrew :)
Z&KFarmsWI Thanks for the words!

Hi Andrew Welcome to R2R!!!
SPR1968 Thanks for the welcome!

Hello Andrew and welcome to the channel.

Wait, I AM ON TV NOW? Or am I watching TV. Or maybe its youtube-crossover episode day at reef2reef! Thanks ;)

Puffer_reef! Thanks so much!

Of course my man, shoot me a note.

Some solid advice right here. I can also put you in touch with some shrimp folks if you get stuck and can't find what you are looking for. Here's all I have from freshwater days, my daughter's 5g tank with Anubias White and a moss ball.

Huge fan of Manzanita Driftwood, I still have 3 peaces that came form Tom Barr's private collection that I just don't have the heart to let go, so they are sitting in the garage collecting dust. By the way Tom stopped selling driftwood to the public a few years ago and only distributes in full pallets. I just chatted with Tom in the fall, he picked up my last freshwater Radion. :)

Ohh does building customer CO2 Regs bring memories. Attaching a pic of the last one I built, that I was using on my calcium reactor. Way overkill for a Cal Reactor, but hey, I could configure 1.1 bubbles per second. :)

IMG_4609.png
IMG_4610.png

Dude, so many memories coming to me. I remember when he STARTED collecting wood that he would share. Wow. My only tank with freshwater is at 100ml glass vial and stopper. A local Picotope with Stringy moss (duh), a native fissidens, and and an annoying liverwort esque moss I never had any luck with until this year because it doesn't tolerate tropical temperatures. Oh, and there is a pinch of duckweed.

Times sure have changed. Tom Barr gave me college advice. Wild. As for the project related stuff I hate to say I need to check with "legal" because I'm hoping to apply for a patent. I have a few little projects related to salt water from over the years but patent crap and costs made them impossible to take to market without losing all my personally invested time and efforts. Oh well, the future is a mysterious place and things tend to figure tthemselves out. Or we just waste years of our lives claiming to be inventors and really being idiots wasting money and time when grandma is concerned you aren't working for minimum wage! She refuses to accept after all these years that there are good paying jobs related to fish tanks and moss. Gotta love it. I have some wood that is twigs these days that came from certain people's scapes that really should be discarded, but it brings back the memories of that time of life when moss and shrimp and design were the hottest topics in the aquarium world, and I was too young to get a drink at a bar!

Thank you! At present, my main system is a 10 gallon AIO style tank with an itty bitty piece of african root through the center and a little bit of dragon stone leaned up against the back right corner. There's well over 3-400 crystal shrimp (I didnt know that different colors could interbreed so now I have green jade, blue rili, cherry, bloody mary, blue velvet, king kong, gold, etc etc colors) and two cardinal tetras and one sad little cory cat who thinks hes a tetra as well. Plant-wise, its very sad; three amazon sword type plants and one bush of baby micro anubias. Originally, I did run a CO2 system with this tank but it was too delicate and a lot of effort for the size. Im really wanting to add some more plant color- red floaters, moss on the wood, some different shapes like laceleaf just to mix it up a little. Im also wanting to sell all of the crystal shrimp and replace them with Caridina Dennerli, which look like teeny tiny little freshwater fire shrimp, although these have proven difficult to source. If youre interested in the crystal shrimp, be my guest! I would love to work with you if you can help me with my plant plight because many of the hobbyists around me either do classic fish-only freshwater tanks or salt tanks.

I think you'll find that this forum is one of the best places to get info on the saltwater hobby, and everybody here is very very nice and welcoming. No stupid questions here! I actually dragged my father back into the hobby (he quit nearly 17 years ago in order to have the time to raise me) and it was very difficult for him to adapt to all the new technology we have now. Even a 1-2 year break would probably leave you a little shocked at the progress of technology! Best of luck to you, there's just about a million different strains of SPS available these days and it sounds like your tank will be amazing! For your display refugium, are you planning on putting any livestock in there? Personally, I have a fuge monster (gigantic green brittlestar) and I think I will continue to have these because its a great way to create a species tank for non reef safe critters without the hassle of an extra system.

You may find it funny to know I knew the people who developed most of those strains, and a few others who had the "rili" pop in their tanks and is joke about breeding it true. Ten years later and that has been had in all major color morphs and live aquaria even stocks them on occasion!

I have no freshwater tanks of any merit at the moment, although who knows what the future holds. Six months ago if anyone told me I would be waiting for someone to deliver used 35g frag tanks to me to use to farm coral in place of my old 10g moss growing rack I would have called you a little bit crazy. Maybe I'll have a fresh water tank in the future!

I think your plans for the tank are reasonable. I always preferred low maintenance and used lots of epiphytes. A orange pink red stem garden is nice to do once or twice, but when your co2 bottle bursts and gives you 3rd degree burns you start to wonder why you are doing what you're doing. (This was a friend of mine, and thankfully he was mostly unharmed. His mom banned CO2 afterwards for a while)

This forum, is fantastic. I waded over to facebook groups and already was called a liar and cheater and scam artist and my one more or less modestly posted coral was labeled as pest infested. When I called the guy out for what he was, he replied he was just having a laugh trolling the new person. Gotta love the excuses some people make when they're called on their poop. I doubt I'll see that on here ever.

Welcome to R2R!!!

Maceto! Thank you so much!!!!!

Welcome to R2R! We're glad you joined us!

SaltyT! Thanks so much! I used to have neighbors whose golf Ts would mysteriously be found while we went quahogging...

hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.. :)

LET P A R T Y Fishguy242!

It appears that you are no noob. We are happy to have your expertise with us!!

Oh, don't say that too soon. This past week I confused myself between a frogspawn and hammer, even as someone who is coming from fresh I used to ID moss by tiny fronds' characteristics LPS are easy peasy. That said, the prices people pay for them is incredible! Beautiful animals for sure. I also almost killed a green mushroom by using a zip tie and not something nicer when it wouldn't stay put and kept going to make love to my AI Nero 3. My bedroom reeks of toxic sludge now. I'm also running two canisters on reef tanks! Yes the the horror is real. Occasionally I might have a touch of usefulness however and an unusual perspective on a situation. The past decade I have been working to invent and optimize freshwater aquariums, large poison dart from vivariums, and to a much lesser extent salt water aquariums so I have a chance of surprising everyone with an idea or insight! A slight chance.

Welcome to R2R, come in sit down and relax, enjoy

KWT That sounds like an amazing idea. Now I need a comfy chair to appear!

Welcome aboard
ZomboMeme 19012021085701.jpg

G Santana thanks for having me aboard! Now we can shout STARBOARD!! together!

Leah Ryan, OH HELLO TO YOU TOO :)

Welcome to R2R! We are glad to have you here. Looking forward to seeing what you add to your tanks, especially if you add some sea grass.

Salty Rambler I appreciate it. I hate to report that seagrass may take a back seat for a few months as its so annoying to get. It'll happen within the year unless covid shuts everything back down. I did just add some "new" macro to my tanks I sourced locally Its black ogo basically. It really disliked sitting in a deli cup for two months ignored with no water top offs. It'll bounce back soon and I'll have to share a picture. Or my crabs and snails and urchin and friends might eat it all first. Seagrass will happen. 100%. I just need to find a place for it.

Vetteguy53081 thanks for the welcome! I had a vette owner try and drag race me at a stop light once. Hopefully you're not that silly! He looked very silly as I stayed normal and ignored him, moments later as he revvved as sped off the officer to my right joined him :eek: Thats the minority though, and I drive a car that gets those reactions.

Welcome to the club Andrew.

Thanks Weasel1960! This is quite the club, or is it the addiction?

Tricky_tran, thats how old I was when I conned my dad into setting up my first fish tank! Its been downhill ever since.

What a giant welcome Macbalacano! I tried this gif on tinder once or twice. They surprisingly could not identify the whale's species! I'm still single.

Looking good! Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the R2R community and happy reefing! :cool:

Welcome To The Team GIF by memecandy

Tag me in PTXReef! Its been so long sitting on the sidelines!

Thank you.

Welcome to R2R!!
1.gif

Daniel@R2R Thank you for the warm welcome! I hope I can add to the great community that is so friendly and welcoming.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm glad to be here.
-Andrew

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back