Toadstool Corals Questions

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wonderful toadstool coral, and it seems to have stopped growing. I say seems because my tank is a 220G and it is hard to tell, lol... The tank I got it from was probably a 90 and it looked huge... Mine is about 8-10" diameter, is that just how big they get?

Also, if I frag it, will it simply round back out?

Now, I can only frag it inside the tank (the trunk is on one of my base rocks). Is this going to release toxins, and if so, how do I mitigate the affect of such toxins on my tank? (such as not do it, only do one small piece and wait a few days/weeks before the next one, etc)

Lastly, looking at these things in the wild:
toadstool_wild.jpg

I assume they sort of fall over, and establish a new trunk, while essentially maintaining their existing capitulum (please correct me if i am wrong). If that is the case, how do I do this in my tank? (elastic bands, glue, etc).

Thanks in advance!

**Edit:
Fixed the broken image; I had to copy it to my own image repository for R2R, lol...

Also, I have had the toadstool for 2 years, the first year it grew like crazy, then plateaued...

Last edited:

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Been in the hobby for 5 years and just got my first toadstool and am curious about these things as well.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some huge size toadstools. Mine is currently around 12" across from around 8" 6 months ago!

You can frag in the tank, a pair of sharp scissors will do the trick. I would cut a fairly large piece off in one go and then lift the piece out of the tank to frag properly.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some huge size toadstools. Mine is currently around 12" across from around 8" 6 months ago!

Yeah, after looking into it a bit, there are several (Advanced Aquarist says ovevr 40), so it stands to reason this may be the max for mine, yet others can get significantly larger...

You can frag in the tank, a pair of sharp scissors will do the trick. I would cut a fairly large piece off in one go and then lift the piece out of the tank to frag properly.

Thanks, I think I will see if I can get some high quality scissors and do just that :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back