Toadstool: dividing or dying?

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My toadstool is 3.5 years old. It has grown from the size of a small garden mushroom to a large grapefruit when fully open. About 10 days ago it developed small holes in the crown. They appeared at the junction of the "tongues" and the central part of the crown. They were roughly symmetrically placed. They continue to expand.
My aquarium consultant let me know the toadstool is just self-fragging. Would love to get confirmation from fellow toadstool owners.
If self-fragging, how do you recommend attaching the frags when they fall off? Glue the underside? Glue the cut edge? No glue and see if they self attach?
Also, would you speed up the process by cutting off the "tongues" or let the process unfold at its own pace?
I will include several photos. Three are current. Sorry, the last two loaded rotated to the left. One shows the holes as they first appeared and the other is from a month ago showing the toadstool open.

tempImageQBdhDU.png
tempImageig3hGM.png
tempImageKTWDEC.png

tempImageu4ibM9.png

tempImageZqFqAU.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have one larger and it does the same when splitting

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back