Is this toadstool splitting or dying?

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a toadstool leather on Friday and it was covered around the base in aipstasia so I removed the aipstasia and put it in QT.
When I bought the toadstool it was shedding so I wasn't worried about the way it looked but then I noticed it looks like it's splitting in half and has a hole at the top.
A few days ago it had two bubbled red/brown areas that were obviously rotten because the flow blew one off and left a hole, the coral is also bent right down. I removed those two areas but since then the two sides look like they are maybe splitting in half, they have a line down them.
I'm wondering is the coral rotting by the hole, is it just splitting, should I frag it or should I leave it.
It's still staying bent down but the polyps are coming out on some of it.
The first picture is of the bubble that appeared on it. It's hard to see but the middle is split nearly up to the hole and then there's lines down both of those two halves.
20210322_190805.jpg
20210324_093940.jpg
20210324_094039.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that don’t look right. OTOH I wouldn’t bet against it. Even a expert killer like me has failed to successfully kill one ....
I can’t even imagine or prescribe any action other than leaving it alone and doing what you are already doing...
but lets See what others say

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you remove the Aiptasia? They can look pretty weird sometimes, but that one sure doesn't look good. Might want to consider cutting off what still looks good to hopefully keep some of it alive.

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you remove the Aiptasia? They can look pretty weird sometimes, but that one sure doesn't look good. Might want to consider cutting off what still looks good to hopefully keep some of it alive.
I stupidly thought a quick freshwater dip to be able to remove the aipstasia with a toothbrush in separate water would be OK but obviously not.
I need to get some elastic bands and try fragging it, never flagged anything before

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stupidly thought a quick freshwater dip to be able to remove the aipstasia with a toothbrush in separate water would be OK but obviously not.
I need to get some elastic bands and try fragging it, never flagged anything before
I've never dipped a coral but I see on this forum all the time "I dipped my coral in this or that" and now my coral doesn't look well. My best luck with fragging leathers is to wedge the new piece between two rocks. I only tried rubber bands twice and it didn't work so well for me. I think for it to work, the coral needs to be in low flow area or something. Other's on here I'm sure know more than me, but I've used the rock wedge 4 or 5 times now and it works well and very little stress. If I saw an Aip on a frag, I would cut the coral off immediately and throw the Aip's in the garbage disposal!

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never dipped a coral but I see on this forum all the time "I dipped my coral in this or that" and now my coral doesn't look well. My best luck with fragging leathers is to wedge the new piece between two rocks. I only tried rubber bands twice and it didn't work so well for me. I think for it to work, the coral needs to be in low flow area or something. Other's on here I'm sure know more than me, but I've used the rock wedge 4 or 5 times now and it works well and very little stress. If I saw an Aip on a frag, I would cut the coral off immediately and throw the Aip's in the garbage disposal!
Thank you so much for that, I'm going to have a quick look online and then try and cut of the healthiest looking parts.
I was wondering when I saw the aipstasia if I could of just cut the whole toadstool off the rock and attached it to a clean rock but wasn't sure if it would kill it...I couldn't have done much worse

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a toadstool retract in size and literally start to frag itself. Turned out I had it underlit. After increasing the lighting it returned to health. And I have babies now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back