Toadstool ID

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have seen people talk about all the different varieties of Toadstool corals but I have no idea what my big guy is. Can anyone help with and ID? Maybe its just a standard Toadstool?

toadstool.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a standard Sacrophyton... could be a Lobophyton though...

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a standard Sacrophyton... could be a Lobophyton though...

I have always thought it was a Sarcrophyton. I am just getting confused because people are talking about "Fiji Yellow" and "Neon Green" Toadstools. My guy is pretty yellow with green polyps.

I guess he is just a standard toadstool lol

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always thought it was a Sarcrophyton. I am just getting confused because people are talking about "Fiji Yellow" and "Neon Green" Toadstools. My guy is pretty yellow with green polyps.

Ah, the fancy schmancy names... better to drain your wallet. If you really want to know, wait till the polyps are fully extended and take a photo with the blue lights off. That will tell you what you really have.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, the fancy schmancy names... better to drain your wallet. If you really want to know, wait till the polyps are fully extended and take a photo with the blue lights off. That will tell you what you really have.

For sure. I will do that. I was mostly wondering because I am considering fragging him a bit (he is pushed up against the glass a bit) and I know the fancy ones sell for a bit more.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. I will do that. I was mostly wondering because I am considering fragging him a bit (he is pushed up against the glass a bit) and I know the fancy ones sell for a bit more.
Yes, do that. Easy to frag. If he's got good color in white light call it "ReeferReefer's Mad Magic Toxic Neon (pick the color) Leather" and sell it for a premium. 10% per unit fee for the name usage, BTW. Just copyrighted that... ;)

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good ID pic but here is a top down shot. Probably my favorite coral. The size is just so impressive!
19692996b85444cb058dd86a9678a895.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pics. One is color corrected using editing but the rest are Un edited.
ee6cea0cc3bb5b2d4e86bee579113e59.jpg
6149d922e6018a8141c839101339d682.jpg
cada237632c32448490ff991efcd0297.jpg
807020946f2cd46ea41a6ef855a4d4ff.jpg

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Both Neon Green and Fiji Yellow are Sarcrophytons. Just colour variants. A "standard" if there really is such a thing would be more brownish but that may just be a product of the fact tanks generally used to be run a lot whiter. With fewer exports you don't really see those plain brown ones anymore. The really yellow fiji yellow are from fiji which we haven't seen in some time due to the export ban. Nowadays any wild toadstools are going to be mostly Australian, although some from Tonga seem to be coming back. There was another thread recently where someone posted some from Tonga that look pretty yellow and will probably be called Fiji Yellow since that is the name most associate with it. Geographically they are close.

As far as what you have I would still say it's more green and less yellow but the resale value should be tied to how it looks not what you call it. Sometimes you see Japanese toadstools for a lot of money and they look slightly different but also hard to verify it's from Japan since Japan does not export corals. Really it should go for everything but at least in my opinion for leather corals with few exceptions it's how it looks vs what it's called which is not always true with some other corals in determining the value.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Neon Green and Fiji Yellow are Sarcrophytons. Just colour variants. A "standard" if there really is such a thing would be more brownish but that may just be a product of the fact tanks generally used to be run a lot whiter. With fewer exports you don't really see those plain brown ones anymore. The really yellow fiji yellow are from fiji which we haven't seen in some time due to the export ban. Nowadays any wild toadstools are going to be mostly Australian, although some from Tonga seem to be coming back. There was another thread recently where someone posted some from Tonga that look pretty yellow and will probably be called Fiji Yellow since that is the name most associate with it. Geographically they are close.

As far as what you have I would still say it's more green and less yellow but the resale value should be tied to how it looks not what you call it. Sometimes you see Japanese toadstools for a lot of money and they look slightly different but also hard to verify it's from Japan since Japan does not export corals. Really it should go for everything but at least in my opinion for leather corals with few exceptions it's how it looks vs what it's called which is not always true with some other corals in determining the value.

Thank you for the insight. I am probably going to sell the frags for $10 or something to my reef club. I have had this coral for years and was just wondering if its something "fancy".

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back