Toadstool Leather Dead or Shed?

fappingpanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hello! I’m new to owning leather corals, and I’ve had this toadstool for a little over a week and it’s been droopy like this since I got it. It started getting algae on it and now I’m pretty sure it’s shedding even though I was pretty convinced it was dead. A few days ago I got another toadstool (visible behind this one) and it has been healthy with extended polyps. Do you guys think it’s dead or possibly just very stressed and shedding? Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Leathers get the droopy moods occasionally but also when there is a lack of water flow. Aim more flow towards it- NOT at it.
You can perk it up also with gentle blasts from a turkey baster

OP
OP
fappingpanda

fappingpanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had toadstool leathers close up for a few weeks at a time. As long as it's not melting/rotting away give it time.
I’ve noticed a couple chunks missing around the head of the coral however I’m starting to see it’s polyps stick out and they’re still holding color, so I don’t think it’s rotting away just shedding.

GzO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longest the purple one has opened daily was 4 days. The smaller one I don't think I've ever caught it shedding. The bigger one I've only seen it shed once.
20211018_203423.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back