Toadstool leather not opening up

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bcook1016
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bcook1016

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 8, 2024
Messages
229
Reaction score
53
Location
pittsburgh
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got this toadstool leather about 3 weeks ago and it was bought with no rock attached to it so I’ve been trying to get it to attach and recently I just put a toothpick through it and glued the toothpick down, the coral will open but not all the way I can’t figure out what the problem is with it. And someone please tell me why these hermits crabs won’t get away from my toadstool!!!

image.jpg
 
How old is your tank? Can you share your water parameters?

How is the flow? Leather corals like good flow more than anything else, it won't be happy in low flow spot.
 
It’s difficult but you might need to leave it alone for 3-4 weeks. Adjust the flow accordingly. Leathers wax over or don’t fully open up normally. Seeing that the coral is new and after spearing it with a toothpick I could imagine it needs time to recover and adjust.
 
The water parameters I tested yesterday were
Nitrates-20ppm
Alk-10.0dkh
Calcium-557
Ph-7.8-8.0
Yes the polyps will open like there open right now but they won’t fully be open and I don’t know if it needs more flow or what?!
 
How old is your tank? Can you share your water parameters?

How is the flow? Leather corals like good flow more than anything else, it won't be happy in low flow spot.

Hopefully you've figured this out after the last week or so... but my vote would be flow as well. Toadstools like a bit more wind in their hair than you'd think.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new