Toadstool Leather Polyp Extension

Formulator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
2,759
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else noticed that toadstools tend to have better polyp extension at lower Alk? I recently decided to raise my baseline Alk from 8.0 to 9.5 for various reasons, mostly a desire for better SPS growth rates. I’ve done this very slowly over time and nothing has shown any signs of stress. The leathers are looking really healthy except that they don’t seem to extend their polyps much. They just get pimples where the polyps used to extend a couple centimeters.
IMG_4227.jpeg
 
I have not observed a connection, but I also don’t track my parameters that close. Toadstool leathers are incredibly tough and have survived a couple of major catastrophes in my tank since I got my original one over 20 years ago and still have that/decendants of that original frag.

One of those catastrophes was related to the controller running the Alk dosing pump overnight. I could not even measure the alk.
 
My alk is currently 9.3 and I’ve never seen better polyp extension coming from my leather. Maybe they’re shedding or getting ready to?

Edit: picture

IMG_1691.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I have not observed a connection, but I also don’t track my parameters that close. Toadstool leathers are incredibly tough and have survived a couple of major catastrophes in my tank since I got my original one over 20 years ago and still have that/decendants of that original frag.

One of those catastrophes was related to the controller running the Alk dosing pump overnight. I could not even measure the alk.
I agree 100% they are probably one of the toughest organisms we keep and those toadstools (started with one which dropped the second) have been with me for 8 years, a tank move, and a major crash that killed everything else except my clownfish. I’m not concerned with their health. More of an aesthetic question about how to get better extension.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new