toadstool leather white spots

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toadstool leather that has been doing really well for the past 6 months. About a week ago it closed up and white patches/spots have started growing on it. I know they occasionally close up, but this looks different. It has stayed in the same spot with the same water parameters. All my other lps and soft corals are doing well.

My parameters are:

Alk 8.4
PH 8.2
Calcium 430
Mag 1400
phosphate 0.2
nitrate 15
salinity 1.026

I have an ato and dosing 2-part so my parameters stay pretty consistent. I know phosphates are high but they have been consistant and the leather was always doing good. lighting has stayed consistent with t5's and leds. Im not sure why it all of a sudden is doing this. Does anyone have any ideas? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

IMG_4121.PNG

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have those from new growth. It will drop frags and then heal itself and grow more.

rcypert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gill did this Coral recover? If so what steps did you take? I have the same problem. I moved the coral to a new tank. I think it shed its skin and smothered itself due to lack of flow. It’s in a customers tank snd I advised him to increase flow but I failed to tell him how and here we are. I think this Coral is dead or dying. It has white spots all over it’s cap. The only part of the Coral unaffected by the spots is the base I’m considering cutting the entire cap with all white spots off to see if the base can regrow.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its getting ready to shed

rcypert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so it’s going on 2 weeks it’s been closed up. No decay yet, no bad smells. But it’s shriveling and getting firm. I moved it to a high flow spot. How much time should I give it before I perform the decapitation to try and save it?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are funny corals but extremely hardy. Move to a little higher flow and puff on it with a turkey baster. Let it adjust. They hate being messed with

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back