Toadstool out of control

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, my question is three fold...

First, my large toadstool's head is wonderfly large, but it keeps growing upwards, as seen in the picture below:

toadstool_madness.jpg

Now the yellow arrows are where it is attached to rock on the top and bottom. What I would like to do is cut it where the red arrow is and put it back down near where the bottom yellow arrow is. So my question is this: What is the best way to secure it? Glue likely won't work, as I have never had scucess gluing toadstool frags, I have to wait until they naturally cling to the rock. So should I attempt to wedge it into the crevace, perhaps pin it with another rock?

The second part is the rest of the main bases column. Usually when I frag toadstools, I just trim a little off the top. However, in this case, will the shaft turn into a head and grow polyps? If so, could I just cust several 'discs' off and end up with a couple frags off the old base?

I don't really want to end up with two of the same toadstools in this tank, but if the old base starts growing a new head, will it bind and attache to the old (moved) head?

Thanks!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, my question is three fold...

First, my large toadstool's head is wonderfly large, but it keeps growing upwards, as seen in the picture below:

toadstool_madness.jpg

Now the yellow arrows are where it is attached to rock on the top and bottom. What I would like to do is cut it where the red arrow is and put it back down near where the bottom yellow arrow is. So my question is this: What is the best way to secure it? Glue likely won't work, as I have never had scucess gluing toadstool frags, I have to wait until they naturally cling to the rock. So should I attempt to wedge it into the crevace, perhaps pin it with another rock?

The second part is the rest of the main bases column. Usually when I frag toadstools, I just trim a little off the top. However, in this case, will the shaft turn into a head and grow polyps? If so, could I just cust several 'discs' off and end up with a couple frags off the old base?

I don't really want to end up with two of the same toadstools in this tank, but if the old base starts growing a new head, will it bind and attache to the old (moved) head?

Thanks!

It could grow a new head and most likely will if you leave a shaft of it's base.

Holding the main frag in place fishing line, rubber bamds, rock rubble.....etc.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could grow a new head and most likely will if you leave a shaft of it's base.

Holding the main frag in place fishing line, rubber bamds, rock rubble.....etc.

Thanks F4p, that's what I'm thinking... I have never had success with rubber bands, and it is almost 24" under the water level where i want it, so there is no way I can rig up some fishing line; but yeah, a couple pieces of rubble to jam it into the rocks should do the trick.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking about the old shaft. I think I will remove as much of it as possible and see if I can get a half dozen frags off it (and I'm curious to see what will happen)...

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow that is beautiful!

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I took the plunge:

toadstool_madness2.jpg

Here is the head in its original location (when it was a 1" frag), wedged in place with a rock. You can see the old stalk still on the right.

toadstool_madness3.jpg

The bits and pieces after removing the old stalk from the rocks. It came of easier than I expected. I diced it up and put it into my frag tank.

toadstool_madness4.jpg

It's pretty upset right now, but as you can see, I freed up a tonne of space.

I already have to adjust it, the rock somehow fell out of that gap, but the polyps are starting to extend, so hopefully it will be a quick recover!

Thanks everyone!!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back